Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need help with dagger design

Go down 
+6
turrinbarturrin
Iohn deMar
Logar
Kairi Cypmann
Orrin None-son
DeMadrid
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DeMadrid

Need help with dagger design Empty
PostSubject: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:40 pm

I'm looking to make some daggers that will primarily be used for killing spearmen, red wielders, and individuals weighed down by armor and large shields. Anyone know of a good design?
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Depends, do you want a small sword, or a stabby only?

For a stabby only, just build two pommels and attach a javvi like head on one end.

For a little sword, just build a little sword.

Those are some of the simplest.
Back to top Go down
DeMadrid

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:52 pm

I'm not sure what I want. I've heard of others using this same style in a viable way so I'm thinking there is a certain concept behind the weapon design. Essentially I'm going to be running up to Iohn, blocking his mace, grabbing on to him, swinging behind him, and stabbing till hes down, after this using his body as a shield for a brief moment to block the likely cheap shot coming towards me and then leaping to the next person.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 6:09 pm

I recommend you make a tiny green-only weapon for a purpose such as that. Iohn had a very awesome design and made a few off it a while back. Hopefully he'll respond here and tell you what to do.
Back to top Go down
Logar

Logar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 8:53 pm

lolz shank daggers for the FTW! hopefully i can find time when its warm this weekend to get some made
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Just like Orrin said. Take a core (doesn't matter what kind) and build two pommels. One on each end. On one end of this, construct a stabby tip with plenty of squishy open-cell. And you're done. Daggers are quick, cheap, and effective for what they're used for.
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 10:03 pm

I have four stabby daggers.

One was a gift from Raslin of the Dreadwood Company. Anyone who has been to War or Gates would recognize him.

Need help with dagger design IMG_4812

He is the drow in the middle.

He made it from a broken dag arrow. He broke the skaft 3 inches from the head and just put a pommel on it to cover the entire thing.

One was using some scrap fiberglass, it is almost 14 inches long and mostly handle. Works good for a secondary weapon because it lays down flat easy.

One is just pvc with two pommels and a javvy head on one.

The last one, I made and gave to one of our units called Aman Peak. I modified the Jari-style axe design to make a trench knife-like hand, then put a pommel on top with a javvy head.
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 10:09 pm

image won't post... I R Dum.
Back to top Go down
turrinbarturrin
Field Marshal
turrinbarturrin

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Ephraim wrote:
lolz shank daggers for the FTW! hopefully i can find time when its warm this weekend to get some made
FAIL!!!
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm

i can show you my dagger should u hail from rolla.
Back to top Go down
Summer

Summer

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm thinking of building a little dagger myself - as a spear(wo)man, as soon as someone gets past the pointy edge of my spear, I'm screwed. If I have a dagger in the other hand however, I got some protection. Odin does the same thing - I run into it every time. ;_;
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 10:17 pm

What ever you build as your back-up for spearing, make sure to tie a loop of cord around the pommel so that it can hang out of the way when you don't need it.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 10:44 pm

Agreed. Also, a spear is a pretty effective blocking device if it is held vertically. I can do a bit of damage with this technique. I actually learned it from an SCA guy. I doubt I'll get the chance anytime soon to show you, but maybe someday.

Like Orrin said, a loop of Fabric on the pommel is awesome. I would almost say to make a 30" or 31" blue sword though. Oh, and fabrics like cotton or nylon work much better than some type of cord. Fabrics won't burn your wrist near as bad.

Yeah, and the Arrow daggers were the only thing we could think to do with broken arrow shafts. They aren't that great and you can only use them serpent style(using the other way hurts the wrist, trust me), but at least it isn't a complete loss.
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 10:57 pm

actually i have used short spear a couple of times without a dagger adn did quite well, although i have been trained in staff Razz, i have fought many people and killed them, though i have not fought with it for LONG time nor have i really fought for a month now.
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Summer wrote:
I'm thinking of building a little dagger myself - as a spear(wo)man, as soon as someone gets past the pointy edge of my spear, I'm screwed. If I have a dagger in the other hand however, I got some protection. Odin does the same thing - I run into it every time. ;_;

and i've killed man ppl who weren't expecting it, lol. yeah the staff blocking really is a good teqnique to pick up at least basically. but since my reads have no stappy end, that dagger is a life saver!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with dagger design   Need help with dagger design Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help with dagger design
Page 1 of 1