Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Archer bucklers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 6:54 pm

My love Ilyia is an archer. She is kind of a small lady and, as such, cannot run around with a heavy shield(for her 4-5 lbs would be heavy) on her arm as a buckler. This has made me get creative in trying to provide her protection. I made a buckler for her that was made completely of foam(Blue camp pad). It had to be relatively small to avoid tacoing but it turned out pretty well.

Then, I wanted to make her a bigger buckler somehow without increase weight beyond 6-8 ounces, effectively making a bigger buckler 15-17 ounces and usable by her.

I thought about buying medium density closed cell foam planks, but after the pretty high price(comparative to blue foam) and the added price of s/h I decided no.

Almost all cores will add 10-13 ounces alone. Even high density thin super tech plastic from poly fab(Plastics production company in Springfield, MO) adds that much and it is also expensive to boot.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 7:22 pm

So, being suddenly inspired, I decided to take two pieces of blue foam in the shape of the shield and add a polyurethane matrix between them. This would added the need structure and I figured out a way to do it relatively inexpensively(Probably at $10 a shield).

I am only concerned about one thing;Durability. I make everything as cheap and as durable as possible. Also, almost as important as the previous two factors, easily acquiring the materials I need is also on top of that list. I am sure many of you feel the same.

If this idea does not turn out a viable one I won't post any information. If it does turn out to be an acceptable design for shields is anyone interested in how to do it?

I'll probably post it ,anyway if it works, just so you guys can have reference to it if you eventually want one.

Also, have you guys made any sweet bucklers?
Back to top Go down
DeMadrid

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 7:24 pm

Im working on an adarga right now, ill post a pic when its finished
Back to top Go down
Alo

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 10:42 pm

Pics would be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 pm

That's sounds fascinating, Eldrin! I would definitely be interested.
As for bucklers, I made one for Kairi which has held up surprisingly well for all the punishment its taken. I plan on making myself one once I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 2:11 pm

We should all post pics when we get the chance. I am going to have to put some thin plastic inside of it. The Polyurethane polymer(One example of which is gorilla glue) Has proven to be more elastic than I thought. It has still provided a modicum amount of rigidity. One more layer(the third) and it should be of adequate non-taco quality. We'll see.

What core did you use for Kairi's buckler? Or is it silent secret? Wink
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 10:02 pm

It worked brilliantly!! I had to put a thin piece of plastic between the second and third layers(imagine cutting a 14" x 14" square out of the top of a tote.) to increase it to the stiffness I wanted. It is almost as rigid as my cored shield. I think this partial core/polyurethane technology might be worth looking into! it seems like a viable shield construction process for bucklers to medium shields. I think I can do a lot of things with it.
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 12:48 am

YAY! Pics???

And no, the core is no secret. Its heavy duty 1/2" plywood. Its heavier, but it will ne'er break. Smile
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 3:49 am

Ok, I'll have to work tomorrow, but I will try to remember to post some.

The shield has the following characteristics.

Dreadwood Hexagon shape

22" tall
20" wide
1-1/4" thick
24 ounces (without handles or a cover)

A thin plastic cutout inside the inner layers of the core with the following specs

14" wide
12" tall

Gorilla glue worked great. I centered most of the weight in the center and as the polymer expanded it hardened the outside of the shield. This made the outside more rigid. A single piece of 1/16" plastic was used for the semi-core.

I am calling this a semi-core shield. It has a partial core in order to increase rigidity to the point I am comfortable with. As of right now, I love it. It does need some battle testing though to see about it's durability. It seems to be very tough though. Light, solid, and fairly cheap. I am very happy with it. Ilyia is extremely picky though! She may not like it. If not, Raslin will love it.

It should take about 2 days to build is made properly.
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:18 am

I built my buckler out of a rubbermade lid over 2 years ago and it has held up amazingly. Except when the front strap broke I just put a leather strap on, so it is technically no-longer a buckler.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 5:43 am

That is what I used for the middle plastic bracing. It is just fun for me playing with new things. I haz new open cell foam ordered! I am so excited. 12 new arrows and 2 new javs coming from my workshop! Hooray!
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Pics soon. Trying to finish it u, but I have been busy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Archer bucklers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer bucklers   Archer bucklers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Archer bucklers
Page 1 of 1