HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Vocations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Vocations   Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:38 pm

I think the minimum requirements for a master weapon should disregard aesthetics. A weapon that lasts a long time and passes at events is a master weapon because it serves its basic purpose. If it happens to look pretty, that's just a plus.

For example:
A master weapon is any weapon that meets the standards of the MoA and has passed at at least 4 events with minimal repair [cover replacement could be okay, but pommel and blade maintenance shouldn't be necessary after maybe 1-2 events] and is used in a designated number of practices [I'm sure most of us could make weapons that pass at 4 events if we only ever use them at events...]

Balance points would probably have to be limited to swords. Where is the standard balance point for a mace? Or a flail? And how would you account for well-made shields? And some people may prefer swords with balance points that aren't near the standard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Svipdag

PostSubject: Re: Vocations   Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 pm

I think the vocations should each have their own guild, or guilds that encompass more than one. For example, I tihnk that foamsmiths, armorsmiths, and tailors could all be part of the Crafter's guild, while the artisans, bards and maybe tailors too could join the artist's guild.

I hereby propose the formation of Haven's first Guild: The New South Haven Schmiedennarren (Forge Fools), open to weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, and to tailors who work especially with weapon covers or with garb that incorporates armor. After it seems that everyone who wants to join has, we'll hold elections to determine our guildmaster, who may or may not be a master smith (as in it isn't a requirement). We will offer accolades in the ways of titles and ranks (which are mostly arbitrary) in recognition of particularly meritous pieces of work, especially relative to that particular smith's previous efforts, I.E. a designated reward for someone's first passable Blue weapon, their first spear (aww, it's so cute). Top value shall be placed on finding and refining technique, as well as education of both less experienced guildmembers and the general public in the ways of smithery. Pushing oneself to new heights of smithing ability should go hand in hand with raising up those below you. Anyone wanting to join may contact me at s-bush@ou.edu, pm me here at Gates of Haven, call me at 8168960726, send me a message on facebook if that is an option, or contact me through any of my numerous acquantances, assuming they are willing to be utilized in such a fashion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Vocations   Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 pm

@ SolinuSvipdag: I completely agree.

Anyone can make a sword like I did for Kairi that lasts as long as it has. I can show you how I made it and you'll see its quite basic. Not a masterwork item (at the time I thought it was cool, but I've come a long way). A masterwork weapon means that the smith put his/her time and effort into making something that is both durable and unique. It should be strikingly apparent that the weapon is a piece of art. If only "some" care is put into the weapon's construction, with little regard for the other aspects of the item (ie cover, design, color, ect) then how dedicated was that person to making a "masterwork" item if they only gave their 70% instead of meticulously creating something magnificent? I've made a lot of weapons in my time, some of them nastier than others, but I wouldn't call any of my weapons thus far masterwork. I would consider, however, some of Tiberius' weapons to be masterwork and for these reasons: They clearly meet or exceed MOA standards, they pass frequently at inter-realm events, they have held together for a significant amount of time, they are ascetically pleasing, and they are constructed with care and show a number of unique traits uncommon to the Dag field.

My point is, not many people will have weapons deemed "masterwork". Those kind of things should remain the holy-grails of Dagorhir. Take for instance Guntar's thrusting tip design: for years Dagorhirrim struggled to make safe, non-phallic thrusting tips on their weapons. Guntar spent time, effort, and probably a bit of money to devise a technique to make thrusting tips safe, and look good. One of his first "thrusting tip" weapons would probably have been considered "masterwork" at the event that first saw the weapon.

Also, a weapon should be a personal item crafted to mold to the fighter or fighteress. It should reflect that person's character both Dag, and non. I short, a masterwork item needs to be one that A) CLEARLY meets or exceeds MOA standards, B) is sturdy and durable, C) frequently passes at different events, D) implements some form of unique foamsmithing technique, E) is ascetically pleasing, F) reflects that much TLC ha gone into the weapon.

"Or I will Moderator all your butts laugh do a little dance and eat a scone"
-Turrin barTurrin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Vocations   Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:32 pm

if i may be so bold, maybe you all should make sub boards for these, so like you can vote on certain weapons and the like. Also the fact that looks shouldn't be a big factor, and whenever i come apon something that might help in foamsmithing i'll pass it along ot you all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Svipdag

PostSubject: Re: Vocations   Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:57 am

ummm, I don't think we all agreed that looks shouldn't be a big factor... but I agree with everything else tyr posted. the question of weapon judges / criteria for rank advancement specifically for foamsmiths should get its own thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vala
Forum Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Vocations   Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:23 am

If guilds become a big deal, they could all get their own section.

Just an idea.

And once the weapons thing takes off, then sure, we could find a place for it to go.

"In order to act, you must be somewhat insane. A reasonably sensible man is satisfied with thinking."
- Georges Clemenceau
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gatesofhaven.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vocations   

Back to top Go down

Vocations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Town Square :: General Discussion-
Jump to: