Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Sword

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Svipdag

Svipdag

New Sword Empty
PostSubject: New Sword   New Sword Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Skeletor s in the ICU (foam separated from the core), so I dressed up the blue I made that one time with Jagun, Madea, and Vala.

New Sword Snapshot_20090225_7
Cover is hand-sewn, made of an old OU shirt (such a great source for Crimson cloth). the basket hilt is made of cut-to-shape blue foam, 1 inch thick, braced with two 1.5-inch-wide strips along the inside. I'm still working on the pommel.

New Sword Snapshot_20090225
New Sword Snapshot_20090225_8
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

New Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sword   New Sword Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:35 pm

Nice. I've never been much of a basket hilt person, but for those who are it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

New Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sword   New Sword Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Wow, looks great Svip! I can't tell for sure, but is the blade beveled slightly? For your hilt, did you use the groove method to slip it onto the core or the hole method to slid it on? Either way, lookin' good. One thing I found works REALLY well for basket hilts and cross guards is minicell. You can find it in walmart commonly sold as "high impact" gym floor mats. It comes in black sheets, 2' x 2', and about 4 sheets per pack. Downside is each pack runs about $18.00.

I used the stuff for some crossguards once and it worked like a charm. Its so dense that you can make a pretty low profile hilt and cut down on layering.

As for the pommel, the rules don't specifically state that it has to be cylindrical like typical pommels are, only that they cannot pass >0.5" through a 2.0" hole. So as long as there is foam covering the bottom of the basket hilt (ie. its more than just core there) you don't need to put a "pommel" there. Although I'd recommend putting at east a disc or two on the bottom of the hilt just to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Svipdag

Svipdag

New Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sword   New Sword Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Yes, it's about a half-inch bevel. It was my first time beveling a blade, so the cut is kinda crappy. It's funny, I got the hang of it halfway through so one side has a really uneven bevel and the other side looks OK.
The bottom is a hole, the top slides on.
I'm gonna add something to the bottom, cuz the core actually comes out of the bottom of the basket hilt when it's on all the way.

Any ideas on how to cover the crossguard?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sword   New Sword Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Sword
Page 1 of 1