HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New Sword

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Svipdag

PostSubject: New Sword   Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Skeletor s in the ICU (foam separated from the core), so I dressed up the blue I made that one time with Jagun, Madea, and Vala.

Cover is hand-sewn, made of an old OU shirt (such a great source for Crimson cloth). the basket hilt is made of cut-to-shape blue foam, 1 inch thick, braced with two 1.5-inch-wide strips along the inside. I'm still working on the pommel.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crux

PostSubject: Re: New Sword   Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:35 pm

Nice. I've never been much of a basket hilt person, but for those who are it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Sword   Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Wow, looks great Svip! I can't tell for sure, but is the blade beveled slightly? For your hilt, did you use the groove method to slip it onto the core or the hole method to slid it on? Either way, lookin' good. One thing I found works REALLY well for basket hilts and cross guards is minicell. You can find it in walmart commonly sold as "high impact" gym floor mats. It comes in black sheets, 2' x 2', and about 4 sheets per pack. Downside is each pack runs about $18.00.

I used the stuff for some crossguards once and it worked like a charm. Its so dense that you can make a pretty low profile hilt and cut down on layering.

As for the pommel, the rules don't specifically state that it has to be cylindrical like typical pommels are, only that they cannot pass >0.5" through a 2.0" hole. So as long as there is foam covering the bottom of the basket hilt (ie. its more than just core there) you don't need to put a "pommel" there. Although I'd recommend putting at east a disc or two on the bottom of the hilt just to be sure.

"Or I will Moderator all your butts laugh do a little dance and eat a scone"
-Turrin barTurrin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Svipdag

PostSubject: Re: New Sword   Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Yes, it's about a half-inch bevel. It was my first time beveling a blade, so the cut is kinda crappy. It's funny, I got the hang of it halfway through so one side has a really uneven bevel and the other side looks OK.
The bottom is a hole, the top slides on.
I'm gonna add something to the bottom, cuz the core actually comes out of the bottom of the basket hilt when it's on all the way.

Any ideas on how to cover the crossguard?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Sword   

Back to top Go down

New Sword
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1