Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Loss of a good man.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

Loss of a good man. Empty
PostSubject: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 3:23 am

I heard news today that Jim Gasser, the man who founded Barbarian Battles in Kansas City, MO, died in a car accident.

I wanted to express my serious, heartfelt sorrow at the loss of someone I know was a very well-known, very awesome part of the boffering community. I'm not sure there's anyone in KC I know who didn't know who Jim Gasser was.

I don't know the exact details of what happened, though, so if anyone does know and doesn't feel it's wrong to post them in the open, can you please do so here?
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 7:32 am

actually i didn't know till today, but still a toast shall be raised in his name, and i DEMAND that we should charge into the first battle screamin "FOR JIM"
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 3:58 pm

Jim was a hero to us all, may he find his way to Valhalla and the halls of his forefathers. Where the brave may live forever. Rest his soul.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 5:55 pm

Since my first post, I've learned it was a head-on car collision in New Mexico that resulted in his death.

I feel terrible about it all.
Back to top Go down
turrinbarturrin
Field Marshal
turrinbarturrin

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 pm

Tyr wrote:
actually i didn't know till today, but still a toast shall be raised in his name, and i DEMAND that we should charge into the first battle screamin "FOR JIM"

heck yes

and some words he would want you all to remember right now,"Just put some water on it babe"\

A cup of tea for a great man!!!
Back to top Go down
Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Jim was one of my friends, I always loved talking to him either that be about boffer or real life. I'd see him at cons and fair. Even though I'm 20 year old, 6'3 man he would always insist on hugging me instead of hand shakes. He'd say "Come over here babe and give me a hug!"

I practiced at Barbarian Battles with him multiple times, was always happy to fight him on the field.

Jim took pride in calling himself "The best red fighter".
Of course I thought Jim was good but not THE BEST.
Looking in retrospect Jim truly was the best red fighter I've taken on.
He was an amazing duelist and fearless fighter.

The boffer world has suffered a great loss, even more though the real world lost a true gentleman.

I miss you Jim, I'll never forget you for the rest of my life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwestdagorhir.proboards91.com
Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Wanted to post this, didn't want anyone to miss this if you knew Jim. Rhia posted this on the midwest boards.

This was written by Jim in the morning, before he left ...

Sword fighting and Life by Jim Gasser

Most Warriors are made.
Some are born.
A few have always known

Sword fighting and life, while on the surface appearing diametrically opposed, are in fact, parallel paths. Sword fighting in its purest form is the taking of life. There was no other reason to pick up a sword. Through the Path of the Sword we discover the true Path of Life. We slice away at the very layers that cloud our true purpose-Enlightenment. The principles and foundations of sword fighting are congruent with those of life.

Why does the sword feel so natural within our grasp? It is a symbol, a reminder of our past. Today, the sword is not the sword of the past, an instrument of death; the sword has become a tool for our enlightenment.

With the correct mind, any endeavor or action can lead to enlightenment.

The style that I pursue is one of basics and practicality. I have found it is best to embrace simplicity as the cornerstone of sword fighting and life.

We fight with swords because it is who we once were and will ultimately define who we become.

Fighting is a progression and must be approached as such. To leap over or ignore the fundamentals will result in weakness, false hope, and ultimately defeat. Fighting is form following function. No superfluous, wasted movements. Our movements are timeless. They have always been.

We must continue to question the strength and integrity of the bridge, until one has crossed over it and come back.

I often speak of what lies within us as something eternal. I believe that our concept of death occurs as we conceive it. Under no circumstances do I think that we truly know and understand the concept, which we call death. Until one has crossed over the bridge and come back, it is nothing but conjecture.

(It is my theory that God would not allow us to have this insight until we have evolved enough to grasp it. At this point in our existence, if there were complete certainty as to the concept of afterlife and a closer relationship with God, why would we choose to remain in this life? Our evolution would never occur if we walked like lemmings into the water.)

Anyone can pick up a sword and swing it. Sword fighting by its very nature embraces simplicity. A child can grasp a sword and begin the dance. As we grow older, we forget these deep- rooted, natural movements. The timeless, simplicity of the sword’s lesson is replaced by the complexity of life. We have become distracted by the race.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:46 pm

Thank you for posting that, Skeith. Both your post and the reposting of what he'd written. I truly mean that. I feel honoured to be able to read the above.
Back to top Go down
Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks I'm really going to miss him, I have some good stories I can share if you ask me next time you see me. Sad I know lots of you aren't in the Kansas City Area directly but Kulprit also posted this if you wanted to attend his funeral.

"Here is the Information I got for is Funeral.

For those interested in attending Jim's service, it is being held Friday April 3rd at 10am at the Louis Memorial Chapel in Overland Park. It is my understanding that this is the Temple that his parents attend (this is a Jewish Service for anyone like me who has never been to one). You can find more info here: http://www.louismemorialchapel.com/ (link should be attached below) by clicking on James Gasser on the left hand toolbar.

I plan to be there, sporting my Barbarian Horde medallion he bestowed on Princess Genevieve in 2002 when he finally convinced her to join his army the last day of festival that year.

Some things I've found out about Jewish Services:
-Black attire isn't necessary, but a conservative dress or suit for women, is. Lower than your knee, if possible - think Business Casual.
-Men may be asked to take a cap from a basket near the door to cover their heads, Jewish or not.
-Graveside attendance is expected (unlike for Christian burials, where graveside is intended for family only)
-Don't approach the immediate family to pay your respects at the actual service. Your presence is appreciated and is all that is necessary (they will typically hold a week of home visitation, during which respects are paid)
-Those attending are sometimes asked to shovel dirt onto the casket once it is lowered into the ground, as a mark of respect for the dead
-Wash your hands after the gravesite service to symbolize the washing away of death. (you might want to bring a water bottle with you, just in case, to do this, if the family is doing the same thing.) "
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loss of a good man.   Loss of a good man. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loss of a good man.
Page 1 of 1