HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Drills

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Constantine

PostSubject: Drills   Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:27 pm

I was thinking about practices, scenarios, and general things we could use practice time for, and I thought it might be helpful to spend some time practicing motions and techniques that may be useful in battle, such as, but not limited to:

--Shield checking
--Shield bashing
--Wrap shots
--Blocking/avoiding wrap shots
--Shield breaking (striking the shield twice in rapid succession)
--Deflecting shield-breaking attacks
--Over-swing correction (when using heavy weapons with one hand)
--Spear parrying/rushing (defending against an attacking spear/attacking a defending spear)
--Spear grappling
--Dodging arrows (if a bow and arrows are available)
--Dodging/catching/blocking javelins

I propose taking 30-45 minutes at the start of each practice - or devoting an entire practice now and then - to practicing these maneuvers. If we turn them into reflexes, I think it will help us be stronger fighters. I'm not trying to make practices militaristic or anything; they should still be fun. But though I enjoy sparring and small-scale scenario battles, I would also like to practice something at practice, haha. What do you guys think of this idea?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Spear rapeing you say???

will i get kicked off the field again???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:31 pm

Why did you get kicked off the field?
Back to top Go down
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:15 pm

kairi kicked me from the field for raping spears T.T
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Thats it, you're kick off Tyr. get out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Tyr is not allowed to rape at practice. Not anything. And if I see a spear rape one more time... lets just say you won't be raping anything anymore, kthx? Razz

I think these ideas sound awesome, Constantine. I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time. I definitely think it would be well worth it to devote parts of practice to techniques. It would be especially beneficial to newbie fighters and would help them get up to speed quicker.

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Yeah, I think it would help turn new fighters into decent warriors pretty quickly. While experience gained through actual combat and large-scale events is invaluable, if you don't have some sort of basic knowledge of proper techniques and maneuvers it will take a long time to develop skills. I've been in Dag for two years and I still don't have any experience with some of the things I mentioned. Mainly because I don't have a shield, haha. I'm also not very confident when it comes to fighting against shieldmen, so I tend to avoid them, but I think doing drills like these would help build some confidence.
Back to top Go down
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:33 pm

Kairi Cypmann wrote:
Tyr is not allowed to rape at practice. Not anything. And if I see a spear rape one more time... lets just say you won't be raping anything anymore, kthx? .

you can't stop the Tyr, i will rape the whole field and every spear on it, wat now xD and yeah constantine you need to switch it up, i hardly even use the same combo through a single battle, ilike to change it up, and be crazy

Edit: helpfull hints when fighting Tyr with spear, RUN, if you see Tyr run or find the nearest shieldmen and hide behind him. if you see a Tyr take your shot and RUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!! or die >Wink, when facin Tyr with a dagger, RUN, when grappling Tyr assume the feetle postion and just accept death >;P
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barca
Troll

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:14 am

IMO, drills are great for the winter, because most of these things can be done inside, and could be scheduled at any time, while practices tend to get cancelled. We should definitely figure out some sort of way to improve techniques, but we still need to get more people equipped, and our new people seem to be having a lot of turn over anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Tyr wrote:
when facin Tyr with a dagger, RUN, when grappling Tyr assume the feetle postion and just accept death >;P

If nothing else, I think that particular point is likely true. -.-;

I agree with Barca about winter being a great time for drills, but I think that some emphasis needs to be put on them in a regular practice setting as well. A lot of people simply won't show up in the winter, regardless of whether we have practice indoors or outdoors or whatever. I think 30 minutes each practice on various drills would not be a bad idea at all.

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Kairi Cypmann wrote:
Tyr wrote:
when facin Tyr with a dagger, RUN, when grappling Tyr assume the feetle postion and just accept death >;P

If nothing else, I think that particular point is likely true. -.-;

agree with barca yes.. and kairi you act like thats a bad thing Razz i can't help i pwn...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barca
Troll

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:00 pm

We actually tried out some drills today because nobody showed up, we worked on shieldless people bashing shields(Noisy's ninja moves won) and blue vs spear and archer combo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crux

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:35 pm

Constantine, do we wanna talk about taking a trip down to Rolla, maybe just a day trip, or crash there for the night, and practice w/ Haven?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Crux wrote:
Constantine, do we wanna talk about taking a trip down to Rolla, maybe just a day trip, or crash there for the night, and practice w/ Haven?

Sure, that would be awesome. I don't know when I'll be free for something like that though.
Back to top Go down
Odin

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:43 am

better make it soon before it gets too cold for a good practice.

and also i thnk we should work on spear/shield teams, knowing how to fight with a shield and how to guard a spear is important at war

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Here’s what I was thinking for running the drills:

Depending on the number of people at practice and the weapons available, you may be able to split people into groups. If that’s possible, I’d suggest the following setup:

--Start off with reds vs. shieldmen and spears vs. blues to practice shield breaking and spear rushing.
--After a few sets of these drills, switch to deflecting shield breaking attacks and parrying/grappling attacking spears.
--After drills with these pairings, have blues and reds switch to practice wrap shots, blocking/avoiding wrap shots and reds rushing/parrying spears.
--After blues vs. shieldmen and reds vs. spears, do spears vs. shieldmen and reds vs. blues for blues to practice taking advantage of over-swing as well as other methods of closing the distance, and for reds to practice avoiding over-swing and keeping blues at the appropriate distance.
--To incorporate Odin's suggestion of spear/shield teams, which is a good one, we could have pseudo-drills [short sparring sessions, really] in which shields/spears fight reds/blues. This would give fighters a chance to work on teamwork and coordination as well as practice the maneuvers in real combat.

--Have a herald, if available, overseeing either each group or the entire practice to help correct techniques and to set the pace for the drills. If there aren’t enough people for a herald to stand aside, he herald can be a fighter as well.
--During the drills, the herald will shout “One! Two! Three! Four!” with a pause between each number.
--On “one!” the fighters do the practiced motion at a mild speed.
--On “two!” they do the same motion slightly faster, and so on until “four!” at which point they’re doing the motion as rapidly as safely possible.
--If desirable, the herald could reduce the length of the pause between each number until the last set is continuous or nearly continuous.
--Do about four or five sets of four [or as many as you want] and then switch drills
--Each fighter’s abilities will be different, so not everyone will be moving at the same pace.

How does this sound to everyone? Any suggestions for improvement?

Last edited by Constantine on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Constantine wrote:
and reds vs. blues.

I just had to point this out and laugh. XD

I like the proposed ideas. (:

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Haha. I didn't even think about that. I'm glad you think the ideas are good. I look forward to trying them out next summer. If you try them at Rolla and find some kinks in the system, let me know what they are and how you fix them, if you do fix them. If there are enough people, it should run pretty smoothly though. Especially once we've already done it a few times.
Back to top Go down
Odin

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 am

im totally up for trying some drills, maybe one at the start of each practice

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:18 am

Constantine wrote:

-- parrying/grappling attacking spears.
?

i think i cans helps here, i think we all know it Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crux

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:27 pm

If you're going to end up being here on Sat. Constantine, I was going to do a weapon making/basic skills practice at my place if you'd be up for it, and maybe the weekend after next we could trip down to Rolla?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:28 am

I'll probably be gone this weekend. But I'll try to open up my schedule for the trip to Rolla.
Back to top Go down
Odin

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:41 am

the sunday practices have been kinda hit and miss, if you could get us some good notice we'll try to make a bigger crowd turn out to make it worth it, i'd hate for you guys to drive all the way down just to wait for three of us to show Sad

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:59 pm

i'll talk to some of our people and see if anyone'd be interested in going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Drills   Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Somebody posted this video on the Midwest forums. I really liked it and I'd like to try some of this stuff out some time, modified to incorporate Dagorhir rules of course.

http://midwestdagorhir.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=plaza&action=display&thread=1488&page=1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drills   

Back to top Go down

Drills
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next