Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to look good on the field and not break your wallet

Go down 
+4
Kairi Cypmann
Angus
Eldrin THE BLACK
Iohn deMar
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Empty
PostSubject: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:36 pm

There has been some discussion about what we can do as a realm to get better garb, look more period, and generally be more BA. Let this thread be for constructive ideas on how we can achieve these goals. Please chime in with your ideas.

1. Dagorhir garb rule of thumb: if you can tell its mundane from 10 ft. away, you need better garb.
2. Unless you have a darn good reason, don't wear excessive amounts of black. (black dye was prohibitively expensive in the middle ages, so wearing lots of black is not very historically accurate. Also, too many people on the field wear black already)
3. A well-sewn tunic goes a long way.
4. Have in mind what you want your character to look like before you buy fabric.
5. Try not to make garb from non-garb items (jeans, t-shirts, ect.) Although passable, not period.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 pm

Some people in Dag claim that they are Nobility/Royalty as part of their their back-story.
Some of these people use this to justify wearing black.
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Tips:
Instead of buying fabric at the store, pick up linens and bedsheets on the cheap from local thrift stores.
Look at pictures of the SCA online for ideas.

Plain long underwear bottoms can look like period tights (from 10ft. away) plus, if you get them in white you can dye them any color.

Scrub pants usually rip out in the crotch when you fight in them. take a ripped pair, and stitch them to fit you more snugly, and they can look like chausses (from 10ft.)

Tunics and tabards look much better if you sew a collar and border on them instead of just hemming them, or leaving the edges frayed. You can just use craft ribbon if you want to this cheaply.

Last edited by Angus on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:16 pm

I think something that's important with garb is more period shoes, or at least shoes that aren't bright white or obvious sport shoes (brown, black, boots of some kind, etc.). Converse aren't exactly period, though there always seems to be one or two people wearing them on the field. I myself was guilty of that at my first event, so I'm trying to correct my mistake as much as anyone else's. -.-;
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm

I do have red on my breastplate, my unit emblem, but I didn't used to!

How to look good on the field and not break your wallet 6372_1092172537879_1033476167_323024_3526279_n

And I've gotten a lot of respect for my garb and armor. But, it is completely possible that some of that comes from my fighting skill too, I couldn't really tell you. But I don't think all Black necessarily looks bad, it can be done right. But if anyone does something lazy, garb-wise, no matter the color, it is gonna look trashy. Sadly, a lot of the time when people are being lazy, they do wear black because it helps to hide modern seams(doesn't completely) and components better than lighter colors.

Even though I do have red, I am still pretty Black over-all.

How to look good on the field and not break your wallet 4234_1158230312785_1138570425_453665_939340_n
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 2:07 am

and there is my lazy garb in that pic lol Razz
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:13 am

Eldrin THE BLACK wrote:
How to look good on the field and not break your wallet 6372_1092172537879_1033476167_323024_3526279_n

I like this picture. You look like you have a puppy in your pocket.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:47 am

I know!!!! LOL, that's Tamari, the cutest lil' puppy in the world.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 2:19 pm

For pants, baggy sweatpants can do really well, it will fold over the scrunched up elastic and stretch well for comfy fighting. A tabard is really easy to make as well and helps if you just have a plain shirt to wear under it. T-tunics are similarly easy, and imo look fine just hemmed, or if you're more of a wild persona leaving it frayed is a nice touch. The whole period thing shouldn't really matter a whole lot since this game is marketed as being based a lot on LOTR and other fantasy, but can still be a good bases for garb ideas. That's one thing I like about the boffer games is that they're not the SCA so people shouldn't be garb nazis on what is and isn't period. I think people should take a lot of the basics of what we've said here and add their own creative flair to it, it's what makes the game unique.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 3:04 pm

I don't really have any issue with people being period or non-period, but it does irritate me when people don't even try to have nice garb of any sort. T-shirts and jeans aren't exactly fun for a mild roleplay experience, and I've seen that at the last two events I've been to. -.-;

I would definitely agree about the SCA thing, though. I like that you have a choice at being either totally period to the max, or just developing your own fantasy character-- and being able to do that inexpensively, haha.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 3:30 pm

The Frythwynd province of Ravenwood passed a new law called "Peasant Law #1." This law has the following parameters;

If a person has been coming for more than 2 months (From the first or second time they came, depending when they are informed of the rule) and they do not have minimum garb, the following applies to them at Frythwynd Dagorhir practice.

1. Any person at practice without passing garb will be called "peasant."

2. Peasants may only use one dagger. They may not even pick up flight weapons such as rocks and javelins.

Note, this pertains to anyone not in garb at battle, even veterans.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 2:25 am

Amtgard had a similar rule, though it just relgates peasants to weapons under 36" (amtgard designates between short and longswords)
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 2:26 am

And I'm also in agreement 100% with you Kairi that it's sad when people don't even make an effort if they've been coming for a while. If it's like week 4 and you really wanna keep doing this, get some garb man!
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 2:41 am

I should probably wear garb more often, haha. Unfortunately I don't have any cold weather garb, so if it gets too cold it'll be mundane clothes for me.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 3:06 am

Constantine wrote:
I should probably wear garb more often, haha. Unfortunately I don't have any cold weather garb, so if it gets too cold it'll be mundane clothes for me.

That is usually acceptable in most places, but if you have garb that is loose, you can usually wear warm mundane clothes under it. It's still making an effort after all. For instance, in the winter time I wear thermal underwear and sweat pants under my garb pants and a long sleeve shirt and a hoodie under my armor or tunic(hoods are great).
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm really glad you mentioned that rule, Eldrin. I think we might have to try that out and see if it inspires anyone to look less mundane.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 7:36 pm

The only garb I have right now is basically a pair of sweatpants and a green polo t-shirt with the collar cut off. there isn't much of a way to make that work for the winter, haha. Right now I don't really have the time or the motivation to advance my garb wardrobe, but I'll look into it in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 7:43 pm

i wear my summer garb year round cause i'm a vamp and i can take it Razz
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Kairi Cypmann wrote:
I'm really glad you mentioned that rule, Eldrin. I think we might have to try that out and see if it inspires anyone to look less mundane.

Yeah I went to our battle Sunday and looked around at the people and got a little disgusted. Some of these people had been coming 4,5, and 6 months and no garb or not even their own weapons. So I was like, MEETING!! after practice and proposed the rule. It was unanimously voted into law for our province FTW.
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Ya. I think It should be voted in to Ravenwood as a whole at Sheildmeet. Though most my guys have finally shaped up.
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 9:12 pm

As to simple garb things.

Take a polo shirt. cut of the sleave hems and waist hem. Remove hte buttons and poke small holes where the buttons previously resided. Now lace shoestring through the holes on either side of the neck. nstant spud tunic.

Sweats, cut the elastic from the ankles and wash them a time or twelve ot fuzz them out alittle.

Dress pants several sizes to large for you held with a rope or belt looks pretty good.

For simple passable tunics, cut a peice of material about 4inchs wider then your shoulders, and cut a thin oval for your head, then a triangle in the neck facing the front. now cut the length to a comfortable position. Somewhere between 5inchs below the waist and your knees.

and final accesorize! it is the finishing touches on ANY garb.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:26 am

Alec, if you buy a fleece long sleeve shirt and cut the neck to be more tunic like, it works really well.
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 10:18 am

I think for the rolla province right now, I'd worry more about people making and bringing their own weapons. I'd say, after 2 months, you can only borrow A single blue weapon. Anything else you want to fight with you need to make for yourself. This rule can be stretched if you show up in decent garb. (That you made, not borrowed)
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:29 pm

i wasn to say, that i might not have the best garb, or even halway best garb, but i'm hardcore and will be in that garb to fight in no matter the conditions, i'll stay in garb Razz RAWR
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to look good on the field and not break your wallet   How to look good on the field and not break your wallet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to look good on the field and not break your wallet
Page 1 of 1