Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thrown Weapons Playtest?

Go down 
+8
Kairi Cypmann
Eldrin THE BLACK
Odin
Angus
Orrin None-son
Constantine
Tyr
Iohn deMar
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

Thrown Weapons Playtest? Empty
PostSubject: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:17 pm

There was a necro of an old thread on the main Dag boards about how a thrown weapon could do more than white damage. Back in the old days of Dag, there were throwing axes, ect. that did blue damage. Would this be something you all would be interested in playtesting?

They would of course have to go through stringent safety checks before playtesting. Passing under white weapon specifications, or blue specs? Cored, coreless? Weight maximum/minimum?
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 pm

i say they must pass yellow spec, they would do blue /white...
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Weight maximums would probably be necessary to prevent people from throwing bricks of lead at each other, but as for the minimums, I'm not sure. Perhaps a throwing weapon must be between 12 oz and 24 oz, or something like that. As for cores, I've never thought cored throwing weapons would be a problem, as long as the entire core is padded. After all, javelins are cored, and we can throw them. The only thing I'd suggest is to require the use of more open cell on thrown axes, daggers, etc.

I think the biggest problem with this would be throwing them accurately and determining the legitimacy of hits. If you throw it as hard as you can, but it hits with the flat, does that count? If they do blue damage, I'd say no, but white damage might be okay.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:42 pm

We did this for a while, but dropped it because they were REALLY unbalancing.

They were too accurate at range. So with teh added damage and range, it was WAY to easy to walk the field.

But htat is just our experience. The best studies are done with many test groups, not just one.
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:17 pm

I will playtest anything. count me in.

12 oz. in my opinion is a bit high for a weight minimum. I'm not sure I want to get hit in the face with a 12 ounce throwing axe.

Were they as accurate as bows or javvies?
What if we just experiment with cored rocks first, giving them more accuracy, but the same damage? What if we made them blue only? (meaning no head shots) What if they were only legal at half-throw, and only under 20ft? (this would probably be hard to enforce, but eh, that's the point of playtesting)
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:28 pm

this sounds interesting, it may be a challenge to make light thrown weapons that will last
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:35 pm

I'm not very good at estimating weights, and I've never weighed any weapons, so I'm not sure what it would feel like to get hit in the face with a 12 oz. throwing axe. We could just make a few of varying weights and try them out.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 am

Angus wrote:
I will playtest anything. count me in.

12 oz. in my opinion is a bit high for a weight minimum. I'm not sure I want to get hit in the face with a 12 ounce throwing axe.

Were they as accurate as bows or javvies?
What if we just experiment with cored rocks first, giving them more accuracy, but the same damage? What if we made them blue only? (meaning no head shots) What if they were only legal at half-throw, and only under 20ft? (this would probably be hard to enforce, but eh, that's the point of playtesting)

No wait...I thought you were a Douche?

LOL!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:50 am

I'm honestly not a fan of this idea, but I'll put up with it if you guys really want to try. I just think it's a little too difficult to make things that aren't like javvies (or things that aren't solid open cell foam) not injure someone if it hits them just right. Weight is a HUGE issue, in my opinion, so to me the lighter you can make a thrown weapon, the better; 12 oz seems a bit heavy to me for being hit in the face, too. And on that note, I agree with all the points Angus made and I like the ideas he presented about cored rocks and blue damage only in particular.
Back to top Go down
kurai

kurai

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 am

Kairi Cypmann wrote:
Weight is a HUGE issue to me

Lay off the sweets.
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 am

If you want to continue being rude on these forums you will no longer be welcome.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:20 am

He's just poking fun. Even I expected someone to say that when I typed it out. It would have been kind of sad if no one took the opportunity when it was set up that well. Razz
Back to top Go down
Khyn

Khyn

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 3:54 am

Kairi Cypmann wrote:
He's just poking fun. Even I expected... when it was set up that well. Razz

Kurai was framed? Oh Noes!
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 4:02 am

Orrin None-son wrote:

They were too accurate at range. So with teh added damage and range, it was WAY to easy to walk the field.

But htat is just our experience. The best studies are done with many test groups, not just one.

By "WE" I mean Springfield. Not Ravenwood as a whole.

The point wasn't so much that they were more accurate then bows or Javvies, but they were so much smaller and had larger strike targets then a rock. A fighter could carry four or five and his normal gear. Bows and Javelins have hte balancing factor of restricting the amount of gear you can normally carry. Rocks balance hte small size and ease of numbers by being restricted targeting.

Our weapons were 4layers of blue foam carved and shaped into throwing axes. Then wrapped in duct tape. Did not hit hard at all when thrown. even point blank range to the face. Though if I were to do it again, they would be cloth tape EVA.

I think Eldrin and crew experiemented with thrown weapons back in the day too, but that was before I started. Friggen old fart been playing since God turned the lights on.
Back to top Go down
Barca
Troll
Barca

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 4:59 am

At least in Rolla, I'd really prefer it if we just stuck to javelins and rocks. In any case, if we don't have an indoor location, it'll be too dark to throw anything. Though I am open to having some rules fleshed out by the time spring rolls around.
Back to top Go down
kurai

kurai

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 5:11 am

Iohn de Mar wrote:
If you want to continue being rude on these forums you will no longer be welcome.
It's called a joke bro, take it easy. It's not like I love to be a dick. (remove the "to be", the "It's not like" and you have a proper reply.)

Anyways, most different types of throwing weapons have been tried by one group or another. I encourage you to experiment and post your findings. who knows? Maybe we'll end up with compelling new results.
Back to top Go down
Khyn

Khyn

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Orrin None-son wrote:
Orrin None-son wrote:

By "WE" I mean Springfield. Not Ravenwood as a whole.

The point wasn't so much that they were more accurate then bows or Javvies, but they were so much smaller and had larger strike targets then a rock. A fighter could carry four or five and his normal gear. Bows and Javelins have hte balancing factor of restricting the amount of gear you can normally carry. Rocks balance hte small size and ease of numbers by being restricted targeting.

Our weapons were 4layers of blue foam carved and shaped into throwing axes. Then wrapped in duct tape. Did not hit hard at all when thrown. even point blank range to the face. Though if I were to do it again, they would be cloth tape EVA.

I think Eldrin and crew experiemented with thrown weapons back in the day too, but that was before I started. Friggen old fart been playing since God turned the lights on.

I'd almost forgotten those coreless throwing axes. Another problem that we ran into, was the weapon damage. We counted them as white/single green, and this worked pretty well untill I got hit in the neck. The neck isn't a hit with a white, OR a green, however; getting hit in the neck and not taking it was kinda cheesy.

I'd almost like to playtest them again. When we did our playtest, armor and shields were more uncommon on pour field than they are now.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 2:29 pm

I know in amptgatrd you can have throwing anything, but if it's not a javelin it can't have a core (not saying that's the only way to do things) I think that should you do this, there should be no weight minimum, but have a weight maximum for safety reasons. Personally, I've never seen a throwie that's more accurate than an arrow, but mad props to the springfield crew for doing it. I think the white/single green could be a good use for them, though maybe ad a layer of open cell around the outside for them to be white, solid camp foam can be stiff (maybe just like 1" thick) Also i tihnk having other throwing weapons can add a nice touch to a persona. Me being more viking inclined would really enjoy throwing axes hehe.
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 5:55 pm

i'm with Crux, i would be more inclined to throw a dagger then pick up a bow
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 11:29 pm

I wasn't meaning they were mroe accurate tehn bows... I explained that.... lol. sorry for the confusion.

Quote :
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 2:22 am

I read that but was silly and forgot, my apologies Orrin. However, i disagree that arrows restrict your ammo on the field, i've seen people with 15-20 arrows on the field, I wouldn't expect anyone to want to carry more than a couple throwing weapons. One way you can make it harder to carry more is to make size requirements for them, so you can't have small throwing disks the diameter of hocky pucks that can kill you.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 3:03 am

We could also just have a number restriction. Like how we can't carry more than one shield. We just can't carry more than 2 throwing weapons.
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:04 am

With arrows it isn't Ammo restrictions so miuch as it restricts the size/amount of NON-archery gear. Basically, it is very hard to archer with a towershield or a full sized glaive as back-up gear. But having 6 throwing axes tucked in your belt still allows a full range of gear. Does that make more since as to my point?

And we did eventually instill a max allowed amount of thrown ammo.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:27 am

Yeah, however fighting with stuff tucked in your belt is really uncomfortable. i don't even like fighting with 1 spare sword in my belt.
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 2:11 pm

i got some wide elastic strips and wally world and made two loops on both of my shields, so at any given time i can carry two extra weapons, plus i got Velcro on to hold rocks, and if i can get some nice throwies i'll be a walking armory lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thrown Weapons Playtest?   Thrown Weapons Playtest? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thrown Weapons Playtest?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next