HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bringing back Haven ranks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:43 pm

You and Logar are fallen clan, and occasionally hang with us. Constantine doesn't fight anymore (sad face), Aandra doesn't fight anymore. Svip is mostly Alterra/Glorks Grorks but will also hang with us on occasion. Never heard of Khazz...sounds like fallen clan to me.

That leaves our Tea-Master Turin, and he only really fights when he comes to events, unless I am mistaken. As much as I love hanging out with you guys do you really consider yourself Haven?

Anywho. We have the option of creating martial and service based ranks separate of one another. Where something like combat trials or tournament wins would be combat based, and providing loaner gear/heralding/doing demos would be service based. Slightly more complex, but everybody wins.

"Or I will Moderator all your butts laugh do a little dance and eat a scone"
-Turrin barTurrin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Im not clan, I havent been for nearly a year, by the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bro'gar
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:05 pm

If there are different ways to get a title, i.e. service or craft, then anyone anywhere could get them. It would be hard to attain a combat title in a smaller area just because you might not have the manpower to run trials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Service an craft wouldnt be a problem, heck passed deeds show as such, an my problem isnt so much manpower as, its amtgard here Sad, an ues im Haven, I did help form this realm, ive just stayed to the shadows, I never truely left in spirit, I even have red pants, but no, ill never wear green, doesnt "fit" me lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:19 am

Tyr, I've never really considered you Haven. Not because I dislike you, but because you've constantly spouted off about how you're a lone wolf and a part of every realm but no one realm, etc. No offense, but most of what your saying is arguing moot points. The entirety of Haven is in Rolla, with one or two exceptions for people who barely do Dag unless we're at an event anyways (such as my own wonderful little brother). I consider this argument a done issue and off topic to begin with, so if you want to continue talking about it, please create a separate thread somewhere else.

As to ranks, I think you all know how I feel about this. However, I do think people should be recognized for merit as far as effort and time put into the sport. If that's what you want to base ranks around, I am 100% for that. I still feel that ranking in combat should be done via tournaments, and whoever wins obtains the right to claim the biggest dick until the next tournament, etc. That was my main reason for trying to get patches/badges to people who won tournaments at feasts, so that they would be clearly recognizable as someone who was good enough to win a tournament and was therefore good enough to ask for advice and help. The number of patches shows how many tournaments a person has won in a certain number of years, which therefore shows their dedication and prowess on the field. I just personally think that's a much better way to do things, and it also encourages people to better their fighting technique if they want to earn the patch and earn bragging rights. Two birds with one stone, in my mind.
As always, I'm open to new ideas, but I haven't really heard any good ideas from any of you yet (or at least none that are completely fleshed out). Just a general agreement that you all want ranks with no way to go about them. Razz

Also, Jeiku, that was hilarious. XD I'm in favor of that system, haha.

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:55 am

Level x.x - Successfully make a legal kill with a freshly broken sword.
Level Wimp - Needs reinforcements all the freaking time! Mad
Level Mahdioh - You have just defeated Bowser and rescued Princess Peach.
Level 404 - Where the fuck are you?!?
Level +-*/ - You have explained Dagorhir mathematically.

Last edited by Jeiku on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:59 pm

I'll go on record saying that my interests don't really need to be taken into consideration when discussing Haven legislation because I'm not an active member anymore. However, I still check in occasionally to see how Haven is doing, and if I have any ideas that might be useful or effective I'll be sure to let you guys know. I may not fight anymore, but I still like to see Haven flourish.

I'm going to try to break this down systematically for my own sake so I can more easily understand the things that need to be considered when forming a ranking system.

Things to consider:

How widespread are the ranks?
-Realm-wide
-Unit-based
-Both

What determines the ranks?
-Combat prowess
o With specific weapon sets
o In general
o How is combat prowess determined?
> Tournaments
> Individual duels
> Other forms of ranking tests

-Crafting skill
o Weapon-making
o Garb-making

-Dedication
o To the realm
o To Dag in general
o Time spent at practices
o Time spent at events

How feasible is it for a college student to attain the ranks within 4 years?
How feasible is it for a person in a geographic location distant from Rolla to attain the ranks?
Do the ranks equate to political power in any way?

I don't see any real reason why there can't be both unit and realm ranks.

I like the idea of separate ranks for crafting and combat prowess. A person may be an excellent combatant but only an average weapon-smith or garb-maker. Conversely, a person may be excellent at making garb or weapons but not very good at fighting. I can see making the minimum passing garb and weapons as requirements for any rank, but beyond that I'd recommend considering different recognitions for different skills. Wasn't there more discussion about this a while back when the Schmiedennarren was created? Using tournaments seems like a fine way to determine combat prowess. I say people can use whatever weapons they want as long as everyone in the fight has the same armor status.

As far as dedication to the realm and time spent in Dag go, I think that time spent at practices should be the primary factor with events counting as multiple practices. Events require time and money commitments that can easily be outside of an individual's control. If you want people to be able to reach the highest rank possible during their time in Rolla, just make the largest number of required practices be less than or equal to the average number of practices that occurs in 4 years. The problem with this is that if a person starts going to practices 2 or 3 years in, they might not be able to make all of the practices. The simple solution is to allow practices outside of Rolla count, which you've already mentioned.

Ranks shouldn't equate to political power in any way. They should be points on a resume in an election campaign or silent tokens of a person's experience and wisdom, but elected officials should still make the final decisions. If people get too big-headed or act too entitled because of their ranks, demote them. If they get butt-hurt about being demoted for being a pompous dick, are they really the kind of people you want to hang out with anyway?

Those are my thoughts. Hopefully at least some of them are helpful.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Odin

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:25 pm

oh, i've missed reading the forums..

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bringing back Haven ranks   

Back to top Go down

Bringing back Haven ranks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5