Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thanksgiving Feast!

Go down 
+2
-Frisco-
Kairi Cypmann
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

Thanksgiving Feast! Empty
PostSubject: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 2:46 am

This is way in advance, and for good reason. We'll be hosting a Thanksgiving Medieval Feast at our house (The Forge) on November 13th. All dishes served will be period foods, and we will eat in garb (particularly nice feasting garb if you have it).

If you'd like to cook a dish or help prepare for the feast, please let me know. I can't do the whole thing myself. Everyone has two options: Either making a dish themselves and bringing it, or paying a small fee at the door to help pay for the meal (because lets face it, we're college students, and no one can afford to feed a large group of people by themselves).

If you don't know what to cook, that's fine. We can help you out. Believe it or not, Iohn is actually quite the medieval cook, and he can definitely point you in the right direction. (:

It is also our intent to make this a showcase of things Dag-related but that aren't combat itself. If you have anything you'd like to do, please let us know. I think we'll attempt to devote a portion of the evening to a bardic competition, for example. It's also my hope that several people with well-developed characters will stand up and talk to us a bit about the historical accuracy, the backstory, and the fantasy behind their character and where it comes from. If you'd be interested in doing this, let me know.

Keep checking back here as time goes on, because it's likely I'll add a LOT to this by the time the feast actually rolls around.
Back to top Go down
-Frisco-

-Frisco-

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 6:27 am

What exactly did Medieval People eat that we don't in the modern world?

-The peasants mostly ate meat and bread (or just veggies and bread in the country.)

-Royals of the medieval era enjoyed a variety of fruits and vegetables, all of which we still eat today. They ate meat coming from animals that are all still served regularly today. Which leaves specially made and flavored bread.

Guess I'm just asking for a history lesson here.

That being said, if you want something cooked, I can do starch-based foods that are edible at the very least.
Back to top Go down
http://www.survivingtheworld.net
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Back to top Go down
-Frisco-

-Frisco-

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 4:51 pm

wow. Yeah, I'll shut up now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.survivingtheworld.net
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 8:41 pm

i'm willing to help set up or what not
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:50 pm

The real question is, are you willing to help cook? >.>
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 11:01 pm

i have dress rehearsal from 1-4 (might get out around 3) that i can not miss. So it all depends on when we have this feast, if it is at a time in which i will have time to change and get over there early enough to help cook. then yes. so having the feast around dinner would be best for me personally
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 pm

My plan at the moment would be to have people start arriving around 5 or 6PM, so I think you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm

UPDATE: (as copy-pasted from what I sent out on facebook)

In case you weren't aware, Boffer Club is hosting a MEDIEVAL FEAST at The Forge on November 13th (a Saturday) from 5:30-midnight.

This feast is purely medieval. That means all the food will actually be period foods that medieval people would have eaten (and since we've already cooked everything we intend to serve, I can tell you right now that it's quite tasty). If you'd like to make a dish too, you're welcome to, just send me a message so I can be certain it's period.
If you have special food needs, let us know. I know we have one dish in particular that's vegetarian safe, if not more.

We'll be eating in garb. If you don't have garb, that's fine: we'll help you make some or loan you some, just let us know in advance.

We'll also be holding tournaments! If you'd like to participate, you need to sign up in advance, so message me or tell me at a practice if you'd like to sign up. We're doing a dagger tournament (possibly caravan dagger style) and we're doing a God of War (meaning you select whatever weapons you want, best fighter wins).
Tournaments will start at 6:00PM sharp. If you're late, you're disqualified.

We're also holding a bardic competition! It has two parts, actually. Haven will present it's actual back story to you all that evening, and you'll be given the chance to present the most amazing character back story you can come up with (be it historical-based or totally of your own design). Then people will have the opportunity to present healing poems they've written (which must meet Dagorhir standards, but can otherwise be as serious or as random as you'd like).
The winners get an undisclosed prize...

We're going to attempt to use due money to pay for the feast, so if you've paid dues, you're eating for free. If you haven't, you'll need to pay your dues at the door ($5 for the entire year). If you're not a serious club member but would like to attend, message me and we'll work something out for you.

We also plan to discuss a few important things for the club that you'll definitely want to be in on, such as what we're doing over the winter and where rained-out practices will be held at.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! (:
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 2:17 pm

what about cooks? are we going to have enough food?
Back to top Go down
Barca
Troll
Barca

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 3:22 am

Can you guys say what you're planning on making, I'm trying to come up with something to make, and I don't want to overlap...

(I'm currently leaning towards goulash with beef and noodles, while not strictly medieval, it's been around for 1100 years, and it's delicious)
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 4:39 am

lol i am being lazy and bringing lots of carrots! nomnomnomnom
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 7:51 am

Talk is Cheap. Geat more Lizard.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Iohn is cooking rice chicken casserole, Angus is cooking pottage, I'm cooking cider to drink, and I do believe someone offered to bring bread.

Odin, didn't you pick something, too? I can't remember what it was.
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 12:54 am

i don't remember. carrots and vermicelli? its an Italiano pasta dish.

and i will be bringing cranberry sauce because i refuse to have thanksgiving feast without it XD
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Don't forget this is tomorrow!
also:
Foamsmithing in TJ South Lounge 3-5
Limited supplies so if you want to make a crazy big weapon you better bring materials. we only have one and a half cans of dap...

Then feast at the forge! 5:30-whenever
tourney start at 6. be there.
God of War = 11 fighters
Dagger = 5
if you want to enter and you havent done so you have very little time to tell me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Feast!   Thanksgiving Feast! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Feast!
Page 1 of 1