Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

History of Jeiku: Backstory

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeiku

Jeiku

History of Jeiku: Backstory Empty
PostSubject: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Ok, so here it is: my long backstory. I will divide it up for the sake of easier reading.
Back to top Go down
Jeiku

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Part One: The Boy with No Name

Jeiku was always a misunderstood creature.

As the August sun was setting, a cry spread across the land. It was the cry of a newborn child. In the village's culture, children were not named until they reached a certain age, so the child grew up with no name. But, everyone in the village, friends and family alike, saw that his behavior was too different from their own. Eventually, he was cast out of his home at the age of nine, without any love, companions, or a name.

As the boy wondered across the land, he soon found a village founded by musicians. As he searched the village, he noticed a man playing a strangely shaped instrument with six strings upon it. The instrument sounded more amazing than any other he had heard before. The child inquired the musician about the instrument, and learned that it was actually just a larger version of a lute. The musician also held up a book, which explained how to play the instrument. The boy desired the instrument, so he bought them with whatever money he had left. He then continued journey beyond the musicians’ village.

As the boy traveled, he learned much of the art of playing his lute and stealing, since he had no more money. His hair grew longer, his voice got deeper, and his passion for music and the other things he believed in grew. After becoming frustrated with his lute's strings breaking, he decided to tune the strings differently. Though, the music he played was brilliant and original, it was too liberal for the traditional beings he met. He began to resent those people who rejected him for his own love of music.

He finally reached the age of thirteen, where he became interested in the ladies. He befriended many, though they all soon sensed this same strangeness in his heart that his home village saw, and the all abandoned him. “There is evil in him,” they whispered and gossiped. “He is far too different from us.” The boy soon became depressed since it was clear that his peers hated him for reasons he did not understand. He was left seriously heartbroken every time he fell in love. Now, emptiness was all that filled him, and his only true friend was his lute, but lutes don’t talk. He highly considered suicide; for it seemed that it was the only way to make the pain stop. He felt completely hopeless.

Until one day…

The boy entered a realm far south of his home village that had a passion for justice and equal social treatment. He discovered the art of competitive fighting, and became particularly interested in swordplay. He soon entered many sword fighting competitions and did decently well against his opponents. Many people also admired his music. He made many friends there of both sexes. However, at the age of seventeen, he became close friends with a girl named Shadow. She shared a very similar passion for music, and had a similar history of social oppression and being shunned by her own peers, too. Like him, she also had terrible heartbreaks within her romances. One night, they were walking down a moonlit path and socialized.

“I know that you have no name, but you are undoubtedly my best friend,” Shadow told him. “But, I believe, I’ve fallen in love with you.”

The boy was surprised. He had greatly admired Shadow for a long time, but never suspected that she loved him. “You love me? But why?” he asked.

“For the things that you are. I see your personality as one that is more desirable than any other. You believe in equality and fairness for all people, though it is not something that should be simply given. You are still your own person enough to fight for your place in the world. I also have to admit that I find you quite handsome. But, most importantly, you have healed my broken heart, which no other man could do for me.”

The boy reviewed Shadow’s words and accepted her love for him. Shadow, then, agreed to give him a name. She chose Jeiku, which meant “healer” in her native language. And thus, their romantic friendship began.

The two were very happy together. Both found acceptance to its utmost in each other’s lives. They both knew what it meant to be looked down upon by those who see themselves as a part of some superior culture. They resented the norm, but instead of attacking it, they protested by appealing to their own tastes and not joining the arrogant. And, whenever they witnessed some other poor, rejected soul being abused for his nonconformity, they stood up in his defense. They had dreams together—dreams of all people learning to be themselves and not posers and bullies. They believed that everyone deserved a fair chance. And they also believed that even the corrupt and criminal could be given a second chance.

Two years after acquiring his name, Jeiku began to have strange premonitions. He heard voices calling him. They beckoned him to join the warriors of the Haven Realm far to the north. Strangely, also, he saw images of wolves at the end of his dreams.

So, one day, he approached his lover and told her about his dreams. She was deeply saddened when he told her that he felt compelled to join Haven’s warriors. He wanted her to go with him, but she was unable to travel the great distance with him because she suffered frequent knee problems, and both were too poor to purchase horses. They could have stolen horses, since Jeiku was a skilled thief, but both were easy to recognize since few people were as short as they were.

“I’d love to go with you,” Shadow told him. “But we cannot get away with stealing horses. So I have no choice but to stay here.”

Jeiku was greatly saddened when she said this. He had not expected to have to leave his lover behind. Luckily, Shadow gave him a small, blue charm, which she said would allow them to communicate across the great distance. He took the charm, and they spent several more weeks together before Jeiku departed for Haven. And everyday, he and Shadow kept in touch.

When he arrived, Jeiku found Haven’s warriors practicing together. Jeiku proved himself to be a formidable warrior, particularly because he was incredibly quick, and he wielded medium-length swords best. He became friends with the other soldiers, and greatly admired two named Iohn deMar and Kairi.
Nonetheless, Jeiku also needed a weapon of his own, so Iohn invited him to the local forge, where he and Kairi lived. In their kindness, they invited him to have supper with them the next day.

Last edited by Jeiku on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jeiku

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Part Two: The Forging of Jeiku's Sword

When he arrived at the Forge that morning, Jeiku was greeted by Iohn and Kairi, and he entered their residence. Jeiku helped them prepare a small boar and vegetables over a fire to be consumed that night. Iohn and Jeiku discussed what type of weapon they would create. Jeiku wanted a sword, but was unsure of which exact kind; so Iohn agreed to show him a few examples. They entered the room that served as the weapons forge and armory. They looked at all kinds of weapons. Jeiku's found a particular sword with a double-edged blade of about twenty inches in length. It seemed to fit Jeiku's arm, not too long or too short for him.

“What can you tell me about this particular sword?" Jeiku asked.

Iohn observed the weapon. “This particular sword has a blade that would fit any fighter well, especially you, since you are short anyway. It is great for fighting while using a shield because one has more room to swing with."

"Wouldn't I need a sword of slightly greater length, since my reach would be shorter?" Jeiku asked.

"Might not be a bad idea, plus, if your shield were to break, you could use this blade on a two-handed sword. However, this weapon's handle has only enough room for one hand. So we should construct a sword with a longer handle as well to help counter weight it. Perhaps a hand-and-a-half handle will work for both purposes?"

Jeiku agreed that such a weapon would work perfectly for him.

So he and Iohn gathered the correct steel rods for making the core and for the outer parts of the balde. They heated them up and twisted them into the weapon's basic shape. “Now, we have to let it cool before we can shape it any further, so let’s eat supper in the meantime," Iohn told Jeiku.

Jeiku and Iohn went to join Kairi for supper. The sun was setting, and Iohn and Kairi asked Jeiku about his past, and Jeiku told them about his years without a name, his history of rejection by his peers and his family, and how he met Shadow.

“To describe myself, as a person, I believe the first word is ‘misunderstood,’” he explained. “I actually am not a monster like people believe. I don’t understand why being different is such seen as ‘evil,’ as my peers called me. I enjoyed most of the same things they did, but I loved my own interests more.

“Shadow is the same as me. She underwent many horrible and dark events, and was always left heartbroken, like myself. When she and I fell in love, she named me Jeiku because it translates to ‘healer,’ where I fixed her heart. After that, she and I were always by each others side, and we both stood up for the oppressed and the rejected.”

“You know, something that is rather interesting is how much you relate to wolves,” Kairi said. “Indeed, they are very powerful predators, but they are don’t kill livestock because they are evil. They only do it because they deserve a chance to survive. They are also very family-oriented. In a sense, they symbolize hope for all good things left in the world.”

“Strangely, when I was ready to travel to Haven, I had dreams involving wolves calling me to haven.”

“Then it all makes sense. Your spirit matches that of a wolf. When an animal speaks to in your dreams for your benefit, it symbolizes your character.”

After they were finished eating, the three cleaned up. Once everything was put away, Iohn and Jeiku checked on the metal and saw that it was still too hot. So they decided to rest a bit before finishing it; once they shaped it, they would have to temper it the following morning.

Last edited by Jeiku on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inconsistency with storyline.)
Back to top Go down
Jeiku

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Part Three: The Grey Hunter Awakes

Iohn and Kairi gave Jeiku a sofa to sleep upon for the night, since he still had no official residence of his own. The sofa was decently comfortable, and Jeiku was very grateful for his hosts' kndness. Unexpectedly, Jeiku suddenly felt sick and feared that he would vomit. So he decided to take a nighttime walk. He did his best to put as much distance between himself and the Forge as he could and finally stopped. For a time, nothing happened, and he soon got bored. He looked at the moon in attempt to calm himself down, since it usually helped when he felt sick or distressed. But, as Jeiku looked at it, he felt a very negative sensation in his heart. It felt like anger, nausea, heat, and adrenaline all combined into one painful element. He began to sweat, his breathing became heavy, and his heart beat faster. He sank onto his hands and knees and tried to cry for help, but it was no use. Then, he blacked out.

When he came to his senses, Jeiku found himself lying on the ground and stood up. But, something did not feel right, he felt like he was standing normally, but he felt the ground on all four limbs. He looked down; and instead of seeing his hands he saw two paws. Shocked, he looked at the rest of his body, and saw that he had dark grey fur and a tail. He had transformed into a wolf. Horrified and panicking, he raced back to the Forge and scratched on the front door. Iohn cautiously opened the door, apparently averting his eyes from the sky.

Jeiku tried to speak, but, his cries sounded like whimpers and barks to Iohn’s ears. Not knowing whom it was, Iohn said to Jeiku, “Did you smell the boar we ate tonight? We have leftovers, but you should be hunting for your own food, my friend. If you do this to too many people, they’ll try to kill you, and wolves are already disliked enough.”

“Iohn, it’s me!” Jeiku pleaded, but Iohn still did not understand. Jeiku looked around and noticed a fire poker in the ashes where they cooked supper that afternoon. Jeiku fetched it and returned to the porch and began to write his name.

JEIKU

Iohn was surprised that the wolf knew how to write at first, but realized that it was, in fact, Jeiku. “Stay there, Jeiku,” he told him, and turned around and shut the door and spoke to Kairi. Jeiku did not understand what they were saying, but he could hear them whispering to each other in another room, now that he had wolf hearing.

Shortly after, they both came outside and walked into the moonlight. Iohn turned around and told Jeiku not to be alarmed.

They both gave each other some space and looked at the moon. To Jeiku’s horror, he watched as his two new friends began to change shape. They began to grow very large and their teeth became very jagged. Their faces turned into those of wolves, they grew tails, but they remained on two legs. Their hands became clawed and their feet large and hairy. When they stopped changing, they raised their heads upward and howled. Jeiku shook in terror. They were werewolves! And he was an easy target!

He dashed away as fast as he could, but Kairi tailed him. He discovered that he was much faster and much more agile than before, as was Kairi, but he still out matched her. He cornered the backside of the house, where Iohn loomed over him. Iohn reached down and picked him up with his two hands and shook him. “Jeiku, calm down! We’re not going to hurt you!” Iohn told him.

Jeiku struggled, but could not escape. “Let go of me! I don’t want to be like your kind!”

"We're not going to hurt you Jeiku, we're trying to help you. Now, if you don't stop squirming and start listening, we won't be able to do that."

"I don't believe you!"

"Listen to me, Jeiku. We can’t understand you when you are in wolf form, we’re just trying to make communication easier. Now quit squiriming, damn it, you're being pathetic!”

Jeiku calmed down and Iohn set him down.

“We did not mean to terrify you,” Kairi apologized. “And we did not intend for this to happen to you.”

“What do you mean?” Jeiku asked.

“I killed that boar we ate when I was in my werewolf form, so you inherited the trait when we ate together. You see, technically that boar received the ‘disease’ from me, but died before it could become infected. I had been so used to other werewolves dining with us that I did not think to use a pig that was killed with hunting weapons. But, it is too late now that you are a… wolf, since you’re not technically a werewolf like ourselves.”

Jeiku was very disappointed; he wasn’t even a real werewolf for that matter! He was just an ordinary grey wolf.

“We'll explain things tomorrow when we finish your sword,” Iohn said. The three went inside, and Jeiku lay down on top of the sofa. Exhausted, he managed to fall asleep.
Back to top Go down
Jeiku

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Part Four: The Initiation

The following morning, Jeiku awoke in his human form again. As he ate breakfast with Iohn and Kairi, he asked many questions.

“So, why am I a wolf and not a werewolf?” he asked. “Don’t most people turn into werewolves when they become infected?”

“Yes,” Kairi said. “But, you are a special kind of werewolf - one that takes the form of a wolf and not a wolf-like human. I suppose that it could be that your spirit related to wolves so much that you changed into a wolf. Luckily for you, though, you can resist the full moon, unlike Iohn and I. We can change into our alternate forms whenever we want, but you only needed the full moon for the first time.”

“So I can change in and out of wolf form whenever I want to?”

“When a werewolf transforms via moonlight, he cannot change back until dawn. That’s why you couldn’t revert last night, since you technically ate after a werewolf to become one. After that, you can change into a wolf and possibly a werewolf whenever you feel like it.”

Iohn whispered something to Kairi and got up. “We’ll finish the Sword tonight, Jeiku. I have an idea for later, but I need to take care of some things first.”

“Where are you going?” Jeiku asked, but Iohn was already out the door.

“He said that I should teach you how to control your werewolfism while he’s gone. He’ll be back later.”

That day, Kairi demonstrated how to transform at will, and Jeiku learned. By afternoon, he had perfected the art of transformation.

Iohn returned later that evening and approached Jeiku. “I was thinking about you and your need of a family last night after you were asleep,” he said. “In a few nights, we'll temper your sword in a different way.”

“How does that have anything to do with a family?”

“I think that you need a place where you can belong, so I think you might enjoy being a member of our Pack."

"Pack? You mean that it is a group of werewolves?"

“They come from many places in Haven. They are the same werewolves we feasted with before last night's occurence. We don’t particularly want you to be a two-legged werewolf, but you make a great candidate for a new member, since we all share wolfish traits.”

For all his life, Jeiku wanted to feel like he had a family, and at last, a group of people accepted him. So he agreed.

That night, Iohn and Jeiku proceeded to create the handle for the sword. Jeiku made a cross guard that resembled a shallow bowl at the hilt of the sword. Jeiku had also discussed with Iohn the possibility of a wider grip, since most of the other swords in the Forge seemed too narrow for his palms. Iohn showed him a sword with an oblong handle, one with an oval-shaped cross section. It fit Jeiku's hand perfectly. So they carved an oblong handle about one-and-a-half hands long and wrapped it in red leather.

The next evening, many other werewolves gathered outside the forging room. All were in their human form. Just before the ceremony began, Iohn and Jeiku hammered the blade into it's final shape, and kept it hot.

Iohn instructed Jeiku to change into his wolf form.

“Tonight, we celebrate the joining of a new member to our family. Unlike us, Jeiku transforms into a grey wolf instead of a werewolf, and has needed a place where he can belong. He is our first grey wolf. But now, he must infuse his spirit into his weapon using his own blood.”

Jeiku held out one of his paws over a wad of cloth. The cloth was present as to prevent Jeiku’s werewolf blood for spilling onto the floor and infecting unsuspecting mortals. Iohn knelt down next to Jeiku and drew some blood from paw and let a few drops fall onto the cloth.

Iohn instructed Jeiku to let some of his blood drip onto the hot metal. Jeiku stood on his hind legs, supporting his body with his clean paw. He held his cut paw directly over the blade and let his blood drip onto it. Kairi then cleaned and bandaged the paw, and Jeiku changed back into human form. He and Iohn then cooled the weapon in a trough of brine. Once the blade was cool, Iohn presented it to the other werewolves. “This sword is now linked to Jeiku's spirit. He will use it to defend Haven and our Pack. Now all it needs is a name." He gave Jeiku the sword and a fitted scabbard. "What shall you call this weapon?" Iohn asked Jeiku.

Jeiku tried to think of names for his beautiful blade, but could not find one. He requested help from the elders of the Pack.

One of the werewolves who had founded Haven approached him. "You are a very special member, young one. You are our first grey wolf. Let that trait guide you as the wolf spirits have guided you to us," he suggested.

Jeiku pondered the werewolf's words. He thought of himself as one of one of them. He knew he was no werewolf, but he was more accurately a wolf-man. His blade was in the blade, and so was the wolf in his heart. He found a name at last. "Wolfen," he said. "Her name is Wolfen!" he said proudly.

The Pack members transformed and howled into the night, celebrating Jeiku's initiation.

So the tales say, this, my friends, is how Jeiku the Grey Hunter came to be.

Last edited by Jeiku on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Inconsistency with storyline)
Back to top Go down
Jeiku

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 5:05 pm

So, there we have it. Some of these events are based on real points in my life:

1. I was not the popular kid in school, and even some of my friends abandoned me because they thought I wasn't "cool enough."

2. My girlfriend and and a couple of our lunch table friends DID nickname me Jeiku, which is the Japanese version of Jake. The word jeiku translates to "healer;" when used in Japanese, it refers to healing someone's wounds. In Hebrew, Jacob means "Holder of the heal." So either way you put it, Jeiku means both meanings. (That is proper grammar, right?)

3. My spirit animal IS a gray wolf. That is why I was attracted to the Pack when I discovered it through Ian and Cortney.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 11:57 pm

I must say, this is probably one of the best back stories of anyone I've read so far. It's very well written, very well thought out, and it flows wonderfully. Well done, sir. (:
Back to top Go down
Jeiku

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks. (:
Back to top Go down
Jeiku

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Further notes: Jeiku would later modify the shape of his lute and tune its strings into the modern standard guitar tuning and would invent underground heavy metal. Consider his lute the first attempt at the modern acoustic guitar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History of Jeiku: Backstory   History of Jeiku: Backstory Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

History of Jeiku: Backstory
Page 1 of 1