HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Gates of Summer VIII After chat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Personally, I don't understand why we're not on good terms with Dominion, but I agree with Iohn that we should discuss our future amongst ourselves before confronting Dominion. I think that should be the meat of our next meeting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:58 pm

It's not that we're not on good terms with them. We are for the most part. It has to do with a past issue at an event before you were around. Ask someone at practice or at a meeting sometime and I'm sure someone will fill you in.

And no, the meat of our next meeting should have little to do with this. If we have time, yes, lets bring it up, but we need to focus on training our new officers. There are far more important things than Gates talk to do first.

Odin: I agree with you, but I can remember a time when Gates consisted of twice the amount of battles, and took half the amount of time to set them up. I can remember when weapons were actually checked for being passed, when people were checked for tags, etc. I know first timers have had a good experience this time because it was their first, but for the rest of us, even just second timers, that isn't too fair a statement to make.
I'd also like to point out that at least one first timer told us at the event that he'd never go to another one again. Same thing happened at War, and the kid literally hasn't shown up to a practice since. I don't want these events to ruin people's ideas about Dag for the few who are able to recognize something poorly run their first time at an event, because it's seriously turning away our own Boffer Club members at a local level. THAT'S something to be concerned about, in my opinion, and as such I think it's important to try looking into new events where hopefully the experience will be good enough that everyone will walk away saying it was awesome and great, and not just a few of us.

In short, yes, this is a serious issue that needs to be discussed, but let's put it on the back burner for now until we can get our new officers trained and in place. Maybe doing a weekend thing at the Forge one night to watch the footage and discuss things wouldn't be amiss if enough people can attend.

Also, to Turrin: I do as well. -.-;

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Odin

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm gone this weekend, but if class permit i should be free the weekend before finals

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:37 pm

I can't attend it, my sister's birthday is this weekend and I don't want to miss out. :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:58 am

I didn't necessarily say THIS weekend, just a weekend sometime before the end of the semester. Whatever works best for the most people is fine by me, since I'm free either weekend.

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frag

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:19 am

I like the idea of doin cross stuff. One of the guys who came with Lobster asked me today if I would be interested in Amp, and personally, I just like fighting. Might be something we should do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:21 am

Amts rules are REALLY different, make sure you remember that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Odin

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:56 am

amp is all about speed, less about sufficient force, and let's not forget the magic system. In short, i'd try it but be aware that amp fighters are going to be way faster than us since we make our weapons weigh more. but if you get good fighting amp guarders, you can handle just about anything

Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Belegarth is very similar to Dag, some restrictions are slightly different; I think it would be a great part-time alternative to Dag? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frag

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 pm

from what I have heard and seen, Belegarth would be a better fit for us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm thinking of getting involved in Amt, but not as part of Boffer Club. I think with the way we have things set up on campus, it'd be best to stick with Dag/Bel. However, if anyone else is planning on trying out Amt, do let me know so I'll have some people to play, practice, and discuss with as a newb. Razz

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:22 am

Okay people, Dag and Bel are the EXACT SAME THING.

The only difference is political animosity between the two groups from some higher up peeps from back when Bel broke off from Dag a long ass time ago. Most Dag/Bel players don't give a crap about political differences and cross-game with each other all the time. But since Bel had since established itself separate from Dag it is referred to as a separate sport.

Oddly enough Amt leadership way back in the day also branched from Dag by using and heavily altering the Dag ruleset.

Any more everyone puts up with each other for the most part, but lean stronger towards one side or another based on how they were first introduced to boffering. Nero, however, I have no knowledge of its history.

"Or I will Moderator all your butts laugh do a little dance and eat a scone"
-Turrin barTurrin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:40 am

Political differences? Like what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:46 am

Again, a long story best told in person, Jeiku. Particularly this one, because it really is rather long when you hear Iohn explain it. -.-;

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frag

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:59 pm

He does give rather through explenations
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:29 pm

That he does, an kairi if you need some help with amt stuff message me, its pretty much wat ive been doin since I came down here an I hang with peeps who eachone has more time in amt then iohn has in dag
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:04 am

Haha lol

So this one time....(2 hours later)

"Or I will Moderator all your butts laugh do a little dance and eat a scone"
-Turrin barTurrin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeiku

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Well, as a first-time event fighter, I will say that going to Gates really improved my skill. I noticed that my KD went up. I am happy with it. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angus
Troll

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Jeiku wrote:
Well, as a first-time event fighter, I will say that going to Gates really improved my skill. I noticed that my KD went up. I am happy with it. Smile

This was my fifth Dominion event, and I am also glad I went. I had fun, I improved as a fighter, and I had a good time.

I want to point out that part of the reason we aren't taking this to the Midwest boards is that we weren't running the event. People outside of our realm put a great deal of time and effort into these things twice a year, and if we have any criticism for them, we need to keep it respectful and constructive. Here on our home boards, we can vent and trash talk amongst each other if we feel the need.

I feel it's important to point out some of the (Specific) problems there were with this event for a number of reasons.

First of all, it helps all of us to improve in the future. We may someday run an event, and we will want it to be good.

Second, it lets the new people know that this last event is not necessarily representative of all events. We want to let you know that it's okay to expect more from an event, especially an overnight camping event. If we don't say something, and we continue to go to the events, then we are tacitly saying, we're okay with this level of quality and effort. If we lower our standards, then we will continue to see things not be as good as they could be.

Yes, Dagorhir events are always somewhat disorganized. Running an event takes effort, and this is something people are generally doing in their free time, between working full-time, and sometimes between going to school, and taking care of children as well. A perfect event is unreasonable to expect or even ask for.
But, it's okay to have reasonable expectations from people.

Remember that you're paying them to do this, and while some of us don't know the difference, some of us do, and we feel responsible for letting you know when you're not getting your money's worth.

In the past, I have attended events where these things have happened, and these are my (Best case scenario) expectations when looking at events:
1. $10 pre-reg, $15 at the door registration fee. (for a camping event)
2. No more than $5 (and usually nothing) for a day event.
3. Campsites near the parking lot.
4. Weapon check starting by 9-ish, and continuing for as long as fighting continues.
5. Weapon standards are known and understood by head weapons checkers, and volunteers are asked for as needed.
6. (As a participant in an event, you should expect that they will need volunteers, and you should be available to help when asked.)
7. Formal weapons check is usually closed after an hour or two, after which one of the heralds does spot checking throughout the day as needed.
8. Woods battles/night battles at night
9. Unit/realm battles and informal ditch battles while weapons check is finishing up.
10. Well-organized field battles during the day until dark.
Field Heralds will usually need help, see #6.
11. Down-time of not more than 15 minutes between battles, 30-45 mins. for lunch.

I have seen #'s 4,5,6,7,9,10, and 11 at previous dominion events, and they are still some of the largest in the Midwest.
That is why we usually go to Gates and War.
But, these expectations were not met at this last event, which just just brings to our attention that we need to make our people aware that there are other events out there. Many of our new members are under the impression that Gates/War are the only large events in the midwest, and we want you all to know that those are not our only options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Well said.

Kairi the Claymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Summer VIII After chat   

Back to top Go down

Gates of Summer VIII After chat