Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.

Go down 
+4
Tyr
Crux
Constantine
Octavious
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Octavious

Octavious

Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Empty
PostSubject: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Okay, not sure about you guys, but the Lowe's here (it's quite large) sells 32 Fl Oz. DAP for about $8.00. Does anyone know of a reliable way to get DAP for cheaper? As far as obtaining it here in Warrensburg, Lowe's is the only place that sells it for miles. I'd probably have to go to Lee's Summit or Blue Springs to get it cheaper.

There was also some DAP adhesive spray. Comes in a blue can. Haven't used it yet. Anyone have any experience with this?

No one sells fiberglass in Warrensburg. There are no Tractor Supply shops around. Does anyone know a viable alternative for obtaining fiberglass? We've been using 1/2" PVC for blues, 3/4" for reds, and I'm looking to invest in some fiberglass rods to reduce weight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:28 pm

If you guys have a Wal-Mart, they should sell DAP for like $5-$6. I've never used a spray before. As far as fiberglass goes, I don't have much advice to offer, unless your Lowe's sells driveway rods, but they flex too much for anything more than a short sword. There are websites that sell fiberglass, if you don't mind paying for shipping. But I'd probably just stick with PVC if I couldn't get any fiberglass.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Okay. I wasn't really sure if chipping out money for shipping of fiberglass was worth it in the end. I'm not terribly opposed to PVC, I would just prefer the fiberglass for the weight. I don't think our Lowe's sells driveway rods, though they do have PVC for ~$1.00. They also have tools to cut the PVC in the store, which are incredibly handy.

We have a sizeably large Wal-Mart, but I haven't been able to find any DAP there. They have gratuitous amounts of duct tape and foam, but no DAP. Sad The DAP store locator on the official DAP website only lists Lowe's here for DAP in Warrensburg, unfortunately. It's quite lame.

Thanks for your advice.

EDIT: Minor Edit. Grammar and Spelling.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Ask who ever's at the walmart home improvement area about weldwood/dap, they'll know. PVC is a good choice, but for anything over 6ft i'd honestly invest in a fiberglass pole.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Yeah, I've heard a bunch of people suggest band shoppe poles.

http://www.bandshoppe.com/catalog/productDetail.do?p=Fiberglass_Flag_Poles

They can cost a bit much though. They're long, and I don't know what their flex is like. If you found enough people willing to buy them, you could cut out the $10.00 shipping cost.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:29 pm

I'd really like one of their 8ft. poles if people wanted to buy them. hell, if people ordered them, enough to drop the 10$ shipping, and brought them to gates where i'd gladly reimburse them for one *wink wink*
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:44 pm

the dap in wal-mart should be in hardwear, over byt the paints..
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:49 pm

hey on this topic has anyone tried the Dap Gel? i've seen that and the original and i'm wondering the difference
Back to top Go down
Svipdag

Svipdag

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:19 pm

Gel is really thick, but it works the same. I actually like working with the Gel more than with the regular stuff.

Also Sch 80 PVC works great for most weapons. If you want, look for anywhere that sells fiberglass Electric Fencing posts. There are tons of places to order them online. Otherwise just stick to sch. 80. I've seen 4' sections of something called PVC Risers, I've never made anything out of one but even at 4' they've got almost no flex. This was at Lowes.
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Dap is your friend, the gel stuff won't work as well. The gel will take longer to dry even though its chemical composition is similar enough to make good bonds. Just stick with the original and avoid weird results. As for the spray, I'd only ever use it on very large surfaces such as shields.

Bandshoppe poles are great for red weapons over 6' simply because their flex is next to nothing. But if you want a spear out of it, just use PVC. Because of the new "spears may flex 90" rule there isn't much point in paying for an expensive bandshoppe pole when PVC makes just as good spears.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Spears can flex 90 degrees now? Wow. That makes PVC the cheapest and most convenient option. When did they make that rule?
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:26 pm

They decided that this past Ragnarok War Council, I do believe.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 pm

What made them change it? Did they consider that spears aren't swung weapons, similar to javelins? This is kind of exciting though, because the flex would more closely resemble the traditional spears that a monk like my character would use.
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:15 am

I don't think I'll be using the spray except on large surfaces, like Ian said. As for the gel, I've heard that it does indeed dry slower, but has near the same properties. I personally stick with the regular stuff.

For fiberglass, these bandshoppe poles should work, but I won't plan on making a spear out of them. I'll probably use them for sword cores due to the lighter weapon result.

Thanks for that link Constantine!

And Electric Fence posts, you say SolinuSvipdag? That sounds excellent. Haven't looked for those yet. I'll see what I can do when I go to Lowe's next week.

EDIT: Added thanks.

Last edited by Octavious on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:15 am

you could use a javi like a spear, so i guess that they decided to even the playing field
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:42 am

Athron of Eryndor (now Athron of Highspires) was the one who pushed to change the spear flex rule. He pointed out the contradiction of green-only spears following the 45 flex, but green-yellow javvies following the 90 flex rule. It makes sense to not contradict ourselves by having one "spear" flexing 45 and another "spear" flexing 90. Also, a more flexible spear will not hit as hard and therefore be safer. When the shaft bends from a hit, energy from the thrust is transferred to deforming (bending) the PVC so only a fraction of the energy connects with the target. Granted spears like this are much harder to feel at times and are poor vs. shields but it all depends on how you'll be fighting. It certainly opened up a whole new vista for spear fighters.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 1:51 am

I'd still want to do it out of the 8ft fiberglass because the rigidity helps to keep the stab more accurate and harder to deflect, at least in my experience, though it does allow for people without the resources to make a nice sized spear. Also, as far as safety, the extra flex helps, however the added weight of the PVC adds more force, though i could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 2:19 am

Based on personal experience, I definitely like being stabbed by spears with a lot of flex as apposed to rigid ones. The impact is way safer, in my opinion. However, as Iohn was discussing with me the other day and was correct in saying, it's easier to push around guys on a shield wall with a rigid spear than it is with one that flexes a lot. He termed rigid spears as 'good for events', and I'd have to agree with that. It's hard to move someone around with something that just bends when pushed against them, which is kind of important at an event from what I've observed.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:45 am

Yeah, some spears leave you winded when you get hit with them. I'll have a lot of fun with the new flex rule because I think it'll add to my monk persona. The flex should more closely resemble that of a traditional Asian spear.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:46 am

Yeah, and the flex, if you can pull it off, can be a good distraction to go along with your monk persona.
With what you were saying Kairi, you could have a shield pole and a person pole Very Happy
Alec, if you need a ride to Ace to get pvc for your pole le tme know and i'll drive ya.
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 am

I think that makes a lot of sense. Probably a good idea to have a huge rigid spear for shields and a "killin' spear" with flex for people. Hopefully I'll invest in both eventually.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Yeah, i think i'll invest in a rigid pole first just cause I like them better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.   Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concerning DAP, DAP Spray, and Fiberglass.
Page 1 of 1