Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Attempted rock.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Constantine

Constantine

Attempted rock. Empty
PostSubject: Attempted rock.   Attempted rock. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Most people focus on swords, arrows, spears, shields, etc. I haven't seen very many rocks out there. I think if they're made and used properly they could be pretty devastating, since they cause immediate death with a successful hit. Anyway, I saw a package of foam balls at Wal-Mart for about $5 and I got excited, so I purchased them, then realized that rocks have to be 4" in diameter. The balls only have a 2" diameter. So I decided to use a bit of foam, DAP and tape to see if I could make a passable rock so my money wouldn't go to waste. Here's how it went:

Attempted rock. Dsc00411

I started by putting a ring of DAP around the foam ball, then putting some DAP on a strip of foam as long as the circumference of the ball [or at least close to it]. I also taped the ends of the strip together after putting it on the ball.

Attempted rock. Dsc00414

I then had to cut two shorter strips to place perpendicular to the first. Again I just used a little DAP and some tape.

Attempted rock. Dsc00415
Attempted rock. Dsc00417

After that I just added a third layer. I'm hoping the DAP and tape keep it together for a long time. I need to find a good way to cover it and hope it passes. I'll try to refine the method so the results are prettier and hopefully sturdier.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

Attempted rock. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Attempted rock.   Attempted rock. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 2:26 am

It seems to look okay. Its definitely a unique design. Post pics of it when its covered. ^.^
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

Attempted rock. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Attempted rock.   Attempted rock. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:27 am

is the blue foam open cell? if im not mistaken all rocks must but only open cell.

and yes rocks are wonderful. i have three, and i've taken lives with them!
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

Attempted rock. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Attempted rock.   Attempted rock. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 am

Rules just say must be only foam with as little tape as possible, and max of 1.5lbs
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

Attempted rock. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Attempted rock.   Attempted rock. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm

sweet! open cell rocks aren't so accurate lol
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

Attempted rock. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Attempted rock.   Attempted rock. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:41 pm

yeah, it's heard to get the weight up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Attempted rock. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Attempted rock.   Attempted rock. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Attempted rock.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Town Square :: Foamsmithing & Armoring-
Jump to: