Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

To DAP or not to DAP?

Go down 
+5
Iohn deMar
Kriggud, the Marked One
Sir Skeith, the Forsaken
Kairi Cypmann
Constantine
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Constantine

Constantine

To DAP or not to DAP? Empty
PostSubject: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 8:53 pm

So, I've met some people around here who are into boffer fighting. However, they focus mostly on Amptgard and Belegarth. Apparently, Belegarth has the same rules and general weapons-making techniques as Dagorhir, but Amptgard's weapons are pool noodle style. Ben, the guy who leads the fighting, recognizes that his Amptgard weapons aren't Dag legal, but when he makes Belegarth weapons, he doesn't use DAP. His weapons are very tape-oriented. I know that in Dag, there shouldn't be any tape on the striking surface, but Ben thinks there wouldn't be much of a difference in the feel of the weapon. This makes me wonder, is DAP necessary? I believe it's a more cost-effective way to keep weapons together, but if somebody wanted to make a quick weapon, could they get buy with just a core, some foam, and a roll of duct tape?
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 10:18 pm

I don't think so. Dap is integral, in my opinion, mainly because it makes a weapon last a lot longer. More importantly, I think it's safer. Swords with tape on the striking surface slap. At that point, you're not really receiving a blow from cushioning foam so much as a whack from a layer of tape. -.-;
That's just my opinion, though. However, it's my understanding that weapons won't pass at inter-realm events if they have duct tape on the striking surface.
Back to top Go down
Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 11:41 pm

I've seen DAPless weapons and they are usually worthless. Double sided carpet tape is the only type of material I've seen tried to be used as a substitue. Most adhesives otyher than DAP suck because they break down in the heat or cold. Anyways duck tape is illegal on striking surfaces in dagorhir. Also I would try to use belegarth and dagorhir weapons only. Because I fought in an all boffer realm in the pass and it doesnt work that way trust me. :\ There's a reason why they are different sports.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwestdagorhir.proboards91.com
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:07 am

Yeah, I planned on continuing to use DAP for all of those reasons, I was just curious.
Back to top Go down
Kriggud, the Marked One

Kriggud, the Marked One

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:19 am

spray glue is alot better than dap for foam-fiberglass, or foam-foam contact. 3m super 77. I use it on all my swords. it is better than dap IMHO, and has much less smell, and a faster drying time. As for amtgard weapons. some of the most unsafe weapons I have ever been hit with were amt weapons.
Back to top Go down
Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

Sir Skeith, the Forsaken

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 3:38 pm

ditto on that last part.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwestdagorhir.proboards91.com
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:15 pm

As for whether or not to use Dap, USE IT FORTHELOVEOFGOD USE THE DAP! @.@

Seriously. >> Use dap. For all the reasons mentioned above.

IMHO: I've used both 3m77 and Dap and I have observed that the adhesive compound in 3m77 very frequently breaks down in extreme heat and can do equally funky things in very cold weather. I've also observed that the adhesive compound is marginally stronger with DAP (assuming its applied properly) than 3m77. Although, 3m77 is easier to use...my 2 cp.

BTW, Constantine: How's that katana I made you holding up? have you made a cover for it yet?
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 8:43 pm

I haven't put the katana through any heavy use yet, so it's about the same as when you gave it to me. I haven't gotten a cover for it though. Although Erin says she has something she can give me for a cover because she lost its mate. Some kind of sock or hose of some kind. I'll have to ask her about it.
Back to top Go down
Vala
Forum Administrator
Vala

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:04 pm

Yeah, panty hose covers ftw!! XDXD I hope that's what it is. Or a knee high sock or something.
something girly awesome.
that would make me soo happy.
Back to top Go down
https://gatesofhaven.forumotion.net
Jagun the Butcher

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 3:44 am

OMG!! my red is alive and it is a beast!! even turrin loves it!
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 7:24 pm

I know this is old news by now, but Here is my break down of adhesives. This is from a discussion on the nat'l boards six months ago.

Quote :
I have tried almost everything I can get my hands on, and here is my rundown.
Tape only(non-carpet tape)--- BAD,BAD,DUMB,BAD! It is heavy, prevents compression, will tear the foam, and wears out quick.

Hot Glue--- this is what the other local group uses (Vorr Vollar Skepna) And their stuff is heavy, hits like bricks, and it just sucks. I started out with hot glue, cause I didn't know any better. I have sense rebuilt nearly everything. If you aren't careful, it can make for sharp edges.

Spray glue--- I have only used 3M-77 and Duro spary, Quality wise, it is sturdy, and holds up decent. I have a few SG weapons, and haven't had to rebuild them. I love it for shield construction, cause you can cover the entire surface of he shield much quicker. I am told 3M-99 and up holds alot better too.

Caulks--- Any of them will add alot of weight to your weapon, because they are designed to fill holes and gaps. They can easily leave gaps in the adhesion. Some dry hard, others dry rubbery, either way, they leave stiff uneven spots on a weapon. The rubbery kind can work for weapons, but the weapon will be heavier than needed, and it akes longer to get a completly dry and ready weapon.

Carpet Tape--- I have only built one weapon with carpet tape. It has to be very dry with low humidity when you build with it, and the surface must be completly dust free, or you get a bad hold. I love it for quick pommels, and if you get a tight cover on the weapon as soon as you build it, then it makes great leight weight weapons. Also works good for shield covers.

DAP--- Love it. It is messier, it is smelly, but it is wonderful. Of everything I have used, I find DAP to be my preference. if spread thinly and allowed to set up before adhereing, it makes a permanent bond. I haven't had to rebuild a DAP weapon yet. The only issue we have had here with DAP, is Alo kicking over the can on his wifes new carpet... nearly lost him over that one. with one can of DAP I have rebuilt one shield, made one shield, made 4 blue swords, 2 axes, 2 maces, 2 reds, 2 javies, and one big mess. None of the other glues goes that far off one container.

My own opinion is, DAP is more cost effective, and worth the effort put into it.

This rant brought to you by one sleep depraved orc. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Thread derailemnt.

My current opinion, Dap for swords and small weapons, and spray glue for shields and large weapons.
Back to top Go down
turrinbarturrin
Field Marshal
turrinbarturrin

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:04 am

i like the spray for certains steps inthe arrow making biz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To DAP or not to DAP?   To DAP or not to DAP? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To DAP or not to DAP?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Town Square :: Foamsmithing & Armoring-
Jump to: