Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How is the rest of Haven doing?

Go down 
+2
Odin
Constantine
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Constantine

Constantine

How is the rest of Haven doing? Empty
PostSubject: How is the rest of Haven doing?   How is the rest of Haven doing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 3:39 am

I haven't seen or spoken to most of Haven in several months, and activity on the forums has seemed a bit sparse recently. How is everyone? Have we been gaining new members? What's the average practice like?

Here in Kirksville things are pretty good. We had about 10-12 people show up to fight on Saturday (Jan 16). I'm still the only Haven citizen here though. But I don't really mind, as long as I get to fight. When I first came here, combat was based more heavily on Amtgard-style fighting, but we've been steadily moving more toward Dag orhir- and Belegarth-style fighting, which is a bit of a relief for me. I don't really have anything against Amtgard, but I prefer simpler styles. I'm not much of a role-player. I pretty much just like to hit things, haha.

A guy here named Travis has taken the initiative on getting the boffer group recognized as an official student organization. There's no telling how long that will take. He's also mentioned planning for Gates. I think it's scheduled for after the semester ends, so I might actually be able to make it! We'll see. I'll probably be back home by then, so if anyone in Blue Springs is going, I'd like to talk to you about it.

I was wondering, how are Haven's units doing? A long time ago I wanted to start a unit, but since I'm the only Haven citizen in K-Vegas, and since Haven's citizen/unit ratio is pretty low already, I decided it wouldn't be worth it.

I'm looking forward to my 60 weapons project this summer. For my birthday last year I got a $25 Home Depot gift card and a promise from my mother to go to Wal-Mart and Home Depot to get materials whenever she and I both have enough free time. I encourage anyone who wants to do some foamsmithing, and perhaps even organize a foamsmithing party or two, to let me know, because most days we'll be able to use my sister's garage. It's connected to a (somewhat) finished basement where I keep my TV and minifridge, so we can sit inside while we wait for DAP to dry. Like I said in my post about the project, I'll be taking requests for weapons if anyone wants one built. I'll remind people of these things when the summer starts.

Have any of the other provinces tried out drills yet? I did some basic blocking and counter-attack drills, . simply practicing specific maneuvers that I hadn't really practiced before, for Historical Swordsmanship Society here and it helped immensely. I'd like to do some drills in Dag too, to see how much it helps there.

TL;DR - How is everyone? New members? How are units going? Tried any drills? Things are good in K-Vegas (Kirksville)
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: How is the rest of Haven doing?   How is the rest of Haven doing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 5:15 am

Well Haven is sort of slow right now, we've had fairly good turn outs at practice, but this wed. will be the first one since Christmas break. as for the units there are technically three: Gate guardians- they/we (since im in it Very Happy) seem to be the largest, but only focus on war fighting, and as such aren't too active right now. other than personal training. idk about THe Pack, but the unit i started (league of mercs) has three members, and is basically non existent. lol

we are still trying to be a official club but as of now we still are unrecognized by the school.

we tried drills a few times but i couldnt make those practices so idk about them.

other than that i can tell you that i made an experimental weapon that im still unsure about. a "one handed" quarter staff i'm calling it. it is basically a double ended club, on 3/8 fiber glass so it is really light and low profile, and seems to pass flex. i use it as an off hand weapon with a long sword in my primary hand. I've won a few duels with it, including some epic staps. i even killed a tower shield. so if your looking for a weapon to make this summer i can tell u more in ur interested
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: How is the rest of Haven doing?   How is the rest of Haven doing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Rolla area is doing pretty good, practices get a good turnout and we're always getting new members show up wanting to join. Its been a bit slow because of the holiday season and the weather but like Odin said I imagine our wednesday practice will get things into motion again. We one step closer to becoming an RSO, and I think everyone down here is excited to start preparing for Gates!

We do drills every other month or so, more often before an event. They usually turn out well, but we have a lot to work on still. I know some of us have shown interest in doing a Haven campout/woods battle one weekend, and possibly some cross-gaming with Belegarth or SCA.
Back to top Go down
turrinbarturrin
Field Marshal
turrinbarturrin

PostSubject: Re: How is the rest of Haven doing?   How is the rest of Haven doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:08 am

CAMPOUT WOOT WOOT!!
Kansas blows runnaway!
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: How is the rest of Haven doing?   How is the rest of Haven doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Because of the weather, we've taken to holding indoor practices in a squash court (I think that's what it is, isn't it? O.o) and since it's not big enough to do large scenarios in, we generally run drills or drill-like games during those times. It's been great so far, and it's definitely a plus to finally have a place to go indoors when the weather is really sour.

This Wednesday we had 18 people show up and fight, which was way better than I was expecting for our first practice of the semester. So I'd say things are going great, haha.
We spent a lot of time talking about Gates and Rag. I don't think any of us will be able to make it to Gates; we found out a few days ago when finals week is, and Gates is right between dead week and finals. ._.

Oh, and units are still pretty non-existent. I think we're the only realm I know who just enjoys fighting as a realm without much of a unit system, haha.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: How is the rest of Haven doing?   How is the rest of Haven doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Yeah, I don't actually know when our finals schedule is. I was just told that Gates is after our finals. But if nobody else will be able to make it, then I probably won't either, because I won't have a ride.

And Haven is so small that we usually just get grouped as a unit during unit battles anyway, haha. At past events I used to run around and do my own thing, but I think from now on I'll focus more on staying near other Haven fighters.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: How is the rest of Haven doing?   How is the rest of Haven doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Hope you all can make it to gates somehow!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How is the rest of Haven doing?   How is the rest of Haven doing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How is the rest of Haven doing?
Page 1 of 1