Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A red and maybe a javelin.

Go down 
+7
Kairi Cypmann
Odin
Svipdag
Crux
Iohn deMar
Tyr
Constantine
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Tygreive

Tygreive

A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 3:26 pm

damn math majors... :3
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:29 pm

It looks like the whole box sword is just a matter of opinion to the weapons checker.
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Go to any inter-realm event and try to get an un-trimmed box tip passed. A good weapons checker will fail it. Don't feel bad though, my swords failed on the same grounds before. It happen.
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:15 pm

i thought svip just said they changed the rules
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:13 am

the point is that a corner of a box sword is sharper and can poke out an eye
Back to top Go down
Svipdag

Svipdag

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:29 am

The MoA states: "This measurement shall be conducted by lowering a testing template onto the tip of the weapon perpendicular to the edge or shaft of the weapon. The intent is to test the thrusting tip of the weapon, not to search for weapon head corners which can be manipulated to pass through the template."
But it's always ultimately up to the weapons checkers whether they want to be more strict than this or not, or what this line means. If you lower it down onto a corner and the corner of the sword pokes through as you rotate it around, that to me is still failing. It wouldn't be a violation of the MoA to pass a weapon with square tips, as far as I can tell, but if a checker calls it dangerous, it'll fail.

TL;DR yes, they changed the rules. That means some checkers might pass a weapon with square tips. But they don't.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 6:56 am

If it's not illegal according to the MoA then and the checker just doesn't like square weapons, then that's BS and the weapon should pass, imo nothing is wrong with square tips.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:03 am

Crux wrote:
If it's not illegal according to the MoA then and the checker just doesn't like square weapons, then that's BS and the weapon should pass, imo nothing is wrong with square tips.

Ever been poked in the eye by one? Or hit in the face and had the scare of the possibility of that having happened? It's not fun. I remember those days. :\
If I were checking weapons, I would pass them because I would personally feel they're not safe, not because 'I just don't like them'. That implies more of a dislike based on aesthetics rather than for safety reasons.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:27 am

Yes, I have. I've fought against squared off weapons and it's never bothered me.
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:28 am

actually i took a sword to the eye today, and guess wat, rounded tip Razz, bet if it was square it wouldn't have hit my eye but rather the socket. , and i have taken many swords to the face, most are rounded, but bye the rules square tips pass, Razz yay, oh and you can ask orrin they do get used ...
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:43 am

Safety comes first in Dagorhir, Immediately followed by safety, and then safety. That's one of the things that sets us apart from many of the other groups out there. If one person thinks a weapon is unsafe, it gets taken off the field. Sometimes it's your weapon, even if it technically follows all the rules. Tough luck, that's the way this game works. The rules aren't perfect, and neither are the checkers. It's better to fail ten perfectly good weapons, than to pass one bad one. For better or worse, this is the philosophy Dagorhir has chosen to adopt. Before you complain about it though, remember that it is partly for this reason that Dag has been able to draw increasingly large numbers of new people.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:57 am

Nobody is saying this game isn't safe, or that safety isn't the first rule, all I'm saying is square tips are just as safe as round ones. And i do agree with you Angus, I'd rather have failed good swords than passed bad ones, i've seen it happen, though I think all of the big boffer groups are just as safe and growing strong. Personally i think it's the simplicity of rules and more realistic combat that draws people.
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:42 pm

i agree angus BUT, i don't really think the opinion of somond who is not on the feild nor has even seen the weapon should be allowed to fail the weapon because they have the opinion that it should fail, the rules allow it, it is actually use alot, it has gone unquestioned on the corners in two other realms, and since the weapons DO pass under the MOA then i have no real reason to round the edges, i will reblade it but i won't round it, i'm goin ot wait till it fails at another realm because it has square edges before i take the cover off and spend the like 3 min to round the edges.
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:48 pm

Box top weapons ARE legal. Since the weapon is not a stabby, the top is NOT concidered a striking surface. Box tops are made all over Dag, and passed all over. I have seen them pass at Dominion, at last gates and last war both.

The bottum line is WC has the final word. if they fail it for the corners of the box...it fails for the corners of the box. If it passes, it passes.

The reason alot of box tops fail isn't for the angle of the box top, but how stiff the corners are. It is easy to make them to stiff.

All that being said, as I told Tyr the other day, I am not a fan of box tops and don't understand why they pass.

If I build a weapon with 2 90degree angles like this...

--
i i
i i

It passes, and is legal.

But, if I build it with 2 45's and a 90

^
/ \
I I
I I

It fails.

Same angle, but more usafe somehow?

As to why Kairi's may have failed at Dom, there are several WCers up there with axes to grind about box tops. Thier are several rules they they are pushy about, weather they are real rules or not.

They will fail any weapon with ANY foam showing. Pommel, handle, crossguard, anywhere.

Square arrows are the norm up there, but a square stabby on a spear, javvy, sword, or anything else is failed.

no rules for any of that.. but they will fail it anyways.

Dominion IS NOT the final word on rules in Dag. They just happen to currently run the big events for the area.

For a suggested modification to box blades, build your box sword as normal, but make the final layer a single peice up and over.
Back to top Go down
Orrin None-son

Orrin None-son

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm

But, if Haven decideds box tops fail, then that is how it goes on your field. all visitors and citizens should honor that.
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Okay, here's the deal. Box tops technically pass, but is it really that difficult to trim the corners at a 45? Just trimming a small portion off the corners will ensure that it passes at most every event you take it to (including Haven events).
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:04 pm

Yeah, it wasn't that hard to fix. I'm worried about it failing for other reasons though. I think some parts of the blade may be less than 1.5" wide, and there isn't much I can do about it short of adding another layer, which I don't want to do.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
turrinbarturrin
Field Marshal
turrinbarturrin

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:37 am

so hows the javie coming?
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:50 am

i thought min. width was 1.25"
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 11:32 am

good good i have everything besides the core for it Smile
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 7:32 pm

According to the both the old and new MoA, Odin is right. The blade only has to be 1.25" x 3". For the time being, I won't worry about it and maybe I'll just print some of the MoA before I go to Gates so I can reference it if they say it fails on the grounds of blade width. I wouldn't want to start an argument, I'd just ask them to explain the reason for failing it.

And I haven't started the javelin yet. I don't even have any good open cell, and I've only got a couple days before I go back to Truman.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:20 pm

I was just thinking about the box tops vs. trimmed corners thing, and I saw Orrin's post about how a box top passed and a trimmed one failed, and I figured maybe it was because by trimming the corners, the tip of the sword passes too far through the hole used to test it. While this shouldn't matter if the tip of the sword isn't a striking surface and the sword won't be used to stab, it might affect how passable the weapon is based on the test suggested by the MoA. I don't think my sword will have this problem though, because even with trimmed corners it shouldn't pass more than 0.5" through a 2" hole.

On a different note, I think I may have to revoke my offer to let Kairi be the first to fight against the sword. I'm afraid it might fail for other reasons, so I want to use it before Gates in case it fails there and I won't be able to fight with it. Plus, I'm just very eager to use it, and Gates is still a month away.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 pm

I'll be happy to test it out for you this saturday. Hopefully I'll have my blue finished by then. You can also test it out against my new strap shield which I got to break in down in Rolla.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:26 pm

Sweet. I look forward to it. I've been itching to use it since I built it last week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A red and maybe a javelin.   A red and maybe a javelin. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A red and maybe a javelin.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Town Square :: Foamsmithing & Armoring-
Jump to: