Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hail to the members of Haven.

Go down 
+15
Sir Skeith, the Forsaken
kurai
Odin
Tyr
Iohn deMar
Angus
Vala
turrinbarturrin
Tygreive
Eldrin THE BLACK
Crux
Kairi Cypmann
Constantine
Svipdag
Octavious
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Octavious

Octavious

Hail to the members of Haven. Empty
PostSubject: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:59 am

Well met, fellow warriors. It's Pat. Just thought I'd finally drop by. It's been a busy week and all.

Just got back from a weapon-making session. I think I'm almost starting to like the smell of DAP. :S

Anyway, for those that don't know me, I'm Pat. I hail from the Blue Springs area, going to UCM in Warrensburg currently. I'm not in Haven, I only know the people there. As far as affiliation I'm doing my best to start a chapter here in Warrensburg (Not Centrawoven, which is the local chapter already present here). Figured I'd drop in and say "hi", I'm going to try and pick up some advanced techniques here for foamsmithing. Nice to meet you all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
Svipdag

Svipdag

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:27 am

A. Are we going to see you at gates.
B. Why are we not going to see you at gates (feel free to ignore if it does not apply)
C. Why are you not in Haven (this might be best left unanswered, I don't know)
D. completely unrelated to all your answers to these questions, Hello, and welcome! It's Svipdag, aka Sam.
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 pm

A. Possibly. It all depends on when we can get things running. At the moment, no.

B. We're not fully formed yet. To explain that cryptic phrase, we don't have very many members, we just finished Chapter (read loaner) weapon construction, and we don't have an official name. Just more things that need to be done, that's all.

C. I was affiliated with Haven back when they were with Alterra. I left for personal reasons and because of time constraints. I never really thought to rejoin, as I didn't think Haven had an outlet down here in Warrensburg.

D. Thanks! Good to be here. Friendly lot. ^^
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Aloha. Welcome to the Haven forum :] I hope you go to Gates, because it's been a long time since we last sparred. I look forward to fighting everyone at Gates. I hope everyone in Haven is ready to duel, haha.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Nice of you to finally drop in. I hope you find what you're looking for as far as foamsmithing goes. We've got some talented people who frequent these boards as far as weapon making goes, so I imagine you will. (:
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Hail! I am Crux from the land of the great gateway.

I'm probably the only one on this forum not from blue splrings or going to Rolla. It'd be cool to see more people at gates, but it's very understandable if people can't come. Welcome to the boards!
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Why didn't you just join Centrwoven? DBGA doesn't like 2 realms in one town unless there is good cause(City with huge population like Pittsburgh is the only reason I've actually seen them allow two realms in one town). Ideological diffrences usually don't allow for a person to start another realm in such a small town, besides, the more people you fight with the better!
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Eldrin wrote:
Why didn't you just join Centrwoven? DBGA doesn't like 2 realms in one town unless there is good cause(City with huge population like Pittsburgh is the only reason I've actually seen them allow two realms in one town). Ideological diffrences usually don't allow for a person to start another realm in such a small town, besides, the more people you fight with the better!

That was precisely why we never started a realm in Blue Springs. We were too close to Dominion.
Back to top Go down
Tygreive

Tygreive

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 pm

I didn't know that, kairi. learn something new every day. Razz
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 pm

@Constantine, Yes, I agree. We do need to spar again soon.

@Kairi, thanks. Weapon-making was a blast. 7PM to midnight was a bit lengthy for me though. I'm tired today. Was dozing in Ecology this morning. ><

@Crux, Hail! Thanks for the welcoming, I hope to go to Gates, but yeah, understandable.

@Eldrin, Ideological differences, mostly. I'm not sure what we're going to do about being an official realm yet, we may never get that status. I don't, however, mind being unofficial.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Unofficial isn't bad. that's how we do it at truman
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 pm

Haha. Here in Rolla, we did a foamsmithing seminar that lasted like six or seven hours. The only thing that really bothered me about it was the headache I got from all the dap. XD
Back to top Go down
turrinbarturrin
Field Marshal
turrinbarturrin

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 9:21 pm

hehe its look its that one whose fault im here
good to see ya bro
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:17 am

Oh yeah. Foamsmithing and DAP with no ventilation. Fun times. Hooray for headaches. We're going to try and pull a day-long session (roughly nine or ten hours, depending on how much materials we have). I was like "One of the requirements is good weather so we can do it outside." Ugh, fumes.
Back to top Go down
Vala
Forum Administrator
Vala

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Welcome!!
Yeah...weapons making...not my forte. I enjoy it....in small amounts.
When warm. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://gatesofhaven.forumotion.net
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:12 am

I've taken to it very much now that I have a good reason to do it. I like it a lot. Lets me work with my hands a lot, which I enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:17 am

You might check on this, but I don't know if centrawoven is officially recognized. They may be, they may not be. If they're not though, it's because they're in the 660 area code, which is basically all of rural MO, and there's already a 660 chapter. (There can only be one chapter per area code, or something along those lines.)
Also, consider this: there only so many people who are really interested in the whole "boffering" thing. Your campus already has an active SCA chapter, AND an active Dagorhir chapter. that's stiff competition for a relatively small group of people. I've fought with centrawoven, and my girlfriend Kat goes to UCM, and used to fight with them on a regular basis. I can certainly understand why you would want to distance yourself. Among other things, they can be particularly unfriendly to girls, and in a sport that is already unbalanced, that's the last thing you need. Personally, I'd rather see someone step in and straighten them out, rather than start a new realm. The best thing for you to do might be to join centrawoven, and just start guiding them toward a better ideology. the problems I observed were mostly a matter of attitude. If two or three of the more experienced members have the wrong attitude, the whole realm can turn into a-holes pretty fast. All it takes though is someone strong to stand up to them and put them in their place. If you've ever fought with Martiss, he does a good job of that when he's there.
Just my humble opinion.
Also,
rule #1 I give really terrible advice
rule #3 I don't know when to stop talking
oh, yeah
Hail! and Welcome to the boards!
Back to top Go down
Iohn deMar
Realm Administrator
Iohn deMar

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:26 am

Centrawoven as far as I understand is NOT official. And for the official record the "area code rule" is, to put it kindly, a really dirty trick other realms use to keep upstart groups from taking over nearby areas. I'm not going to name names, but Haven has experienced some flak from this "imaginary" rule, and I looked into it and nowhere does any official dagorhir document mention an area code rule. Although it is considered bad form to start a chapter when there is already and established group, there is nothing from stopping you legally. Just be prepared to answer to Centrawoven...

On a side note, I don't really understand why Centrawoven has such a bad rap. Why do I keep hearing bad things about them???
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 4:01 am

@ Iohn: Of late, there have been a couple people in charge of Centrawoven that have sort of adopted the "more pain is better" attitude. In other words, they take out their aggression on each other, and if you don't like to get beat up at practice, then you're a pussy, and dag isn't for you. I think this attitude is going to hurt them in the long run, since it's not very inviting to new people. Any good realm needs a healthy balance of RPers and Stickjocks. Centrawoven has swung itself pretty far to the stickjock extreme over the last year or two, and they've made it so that RPers and less aggressive fighters would rather not join at all than put up with them. I'd really like to see this change, I hate to see people show interest in Dag only to get turned away for not being "macho" enough.
On this same note, I think our realm leans to the RP side, so over time we will need to make sure we don't fall too far to the other extreme, and turn away the people who just want to fight.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 am

Sounds like somebody needs to go to Centrawoven and slip in a headshot here and there. Give 'em a beat down that puts 'em in their place. It's a shame I can't be there to unleash a little righteous fury on them. Although that probably wouldn't be the most honorable thing to do, haha.
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 am

Angus wrote:
On this same note, I think our realm leans to the RP side, so over time we will need to make sure we don't fall too far to the other extreme, and turn away the people who just want to fight.

Please tell me you're joking. O.o We can barely get everyone in our realm in garb, and most all of our Rolla Province (being engineers) are trying to make the most efficient weapons possible. The most RP thing we do is create character names, and a very few of us have actually written up a back story to go with our characters. I think that puts us a bit more towards stickjocks than it does RPers. I mean, what would you change that we do now to accommodate even more stickjock behavior? O.o;
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 8:54 am

I would like to think that we tend more to the RP side as a realm, and honestly i think that's the way it should be. In fact if you ask me the question "what's the difference between Dag and LARP," I would say they're the same, and that people need to get over their fear of LARPing. It has always bothered me that we try to distance ourselves from LARPing because of the negative stigma. someone needs to stand up for the good name of LARP in general and drive the point home that LARPing is for anybody and everybody who just wants to have fun, and who better to do that than us here in Dagorhir?

Having said that, I was mostly directing the comment at myself, as I'm definitely an RPer,(at least I lean that way) and I always have to try to stay neutral with new members. It's easy for me to start telling people that they need good garb, and a character name, and that they should be in character, etc. Sometimes I forget that some people just want to wear minimum garb and fight, and I don't want to drive those people away just because they don't play the way I want them to.
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 8:55 am

If you're not satisfied with that response, see rules 1 thru 4
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 pm

We kinda jacked Octavious' intro thread. Maybe we should move this discussion to general discussion or something. But I will say that I think a lot of us have garb and character names and bios so we don't look like complete stickjocks. Myself for instance >.> I do Dag because it's a fun way to get exercise and test my physical prowess. I don't put much emphasis on the RP element, personally.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm

I see dag as having some RP aspects to it, in that you can have a persona and whatnot, but what I consider real LARPing is sutff like Darkon, Nero, and to a certain extent Amtgard.

Also sorry as well about the hijacking of your thread.

The area code "rule" is dumb. if people want such a rule, they should institute a distance rule which is what i've seen used before.

So Octavious, what's your play style? What part of this game do you like the most outside of fighting? (weapon making /shield making/ armor / garb etc....)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hail to the members of Haven.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next