Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hail to the members of Haven.

Go down 
+15
Sir Skeith, the Forsaken
kurai
Odin
Tyr
Iohn deMar
Angus
Vala
turrinbarturrin
Tygreive
Eldrin THE BLACK
Crux
Kairi Cypmann
Constantine
Svipdag
Octavious
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Octavious

Octavious

Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 6:31 pm

EDITED BY MODERATORS.

@Crux, I like most styles of play. Outside of fighting, I enjoy weapon making, and I enjoy organization of units. To me, there's something most magical about seeing units break and up and hearing command echo through the battlefield. I really like that aspect.

@Forum Moderators or Admin: Suggestion to move topic to general chat if off-topic talk continues.

Last edited by Octavious on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm a big fan of unit fighting. I've belonged to a Mercenary unit in Amtgard and the realm Arnor in Belegarth. I learned a lot about unit strategy and love being on the front lines of a shield wall. I hope to start or help start a fighting unit some day. We should talk strategies some time.
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:57 pm

I would very much enjoy talking strategies. I find that unit fighting to be a very exhilarating process. I've always wanted to get an aerial view of a large battle just to see the units move around. Smile
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:59 pm

Oh, that would be beautiful, be in a helicopter with a camera videotaping it.

So what are your views on shield walls?
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Shield walls are sexy.
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Very sexy indeed. I prefer for myself, and probably recommend for others to use a sturdy strap shield to make it harder for the enemy to move them. Also, it's nice to have everyone with using the same arm for sword and shield. Then have long reds/greens behind them and archers behind their. All pretty standard I know. Though I do like to have some reds/florentine up front on the flanks of the wall.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 10:07 pm

I was paying more attention to not dying than to on-field tactics, but it didn't seem like individual unit movement was a large factor when I went to Gates last year. We pretty much just went wherever we thought we could be useful. Somebody would shout out where more defense was needed and people who weren't currently occupied would go help. I could be wrong though. Group tactics aren't really my thing. It's nice to have a strategy though.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Sometimes that's all you need, but having a plan as a group can be good, also knowing who to listen to at times.
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 10:24 pm

My actual experience with Units is limited to when I went to Iron Fist IV and what I did with Haven when they were still part of Alterra and I was a member. The other part of the knowledge is only what I've seen, not really what I've experienced, so I daresay some of my knowledge isn't as great as some here who practice in units every day. Sad
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:20 am

That's one thing i enjoyed at Arnor was we practiced unit fighting, though in small units unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Angus
Troll
Angus

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 7:28 am

Sorry for hijacking the thread earlier. On a more positive note, I'm really glad that you're doing what you're doing up there.

EDITED BY MODERATORS.

Also, @ both of you: I would love to see more unit battles and scenarios at our practices as well, are there any cool scenarios you guys know of for small-scale unit battles?
Back to top Go down
Tyr

Tyr

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 8:26 am

I just have to say that though they aren't the best Centrawoven really isn't that bad, they really are a good bunch of peeps. i talk to a couple of them all the time and they are good guys. just kinda rough round the edges
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm

Well, there are a few basic ways you can practice unit fighting. At your practices, you can either just to basic team battles with 2 teams, whoever the captain is gets to call the shots, or have two people who would be the "Commanders" at events and have them on each team to call the shots and just do mini team battles. Also you can run drills for certain aspects. Like i posted in the Rolla area, I'll be visiting over my midterm break which isn't the same as yours so I'd love to come fight with you all and for people who want to, discuss unit fighting.
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:05 pm

(It's okay Angus, threads get hijacked. Smile It happens. )

@Angus, That's great! It would be fantastic to have more members. They can come check us out whenever. Official practices (where I go over updates and Chapter information, then we fight) are Tuesdays at 4pm, practiced at Bradshaw field (that's the name we've given to the field behind Bradshaw on campus, it's near the Baseball field), and Fridays at 3pm, practiced at Bradshaw field. We spar on other days, and those practices are unofficial, meaning we don't do things that could affect the majority of the chapter (such as ranking tests). Unofficial practices are usually inside or on the football field (if it's clear) and happen whenever someone wants to go spar. If someone you know would like to practice with us, please tell them to find me on Facebook. Note that all practices take place on-campus.

As far as unit battles go, we just formed into units yesterday, so I have yet to implement any scenarios. For now, the organization of units breaks into Alpha and Beta (first unit and second unit, respectively). I'm commanding Alpha, and I switch out one of my guys with someone from Beta each practice to let the Alpha individual command, and let the Beta individual fight with Alpha. This, in my opinion, will let me see who commands well from Alpha, and let me see how Beta fights. It also allows everyone to get used to the way everyone else fights.

Scenarios I had in mind for next practice were things like Alpha vs. Beta and such.

Scenarios we usually practice at unofficial practices are free-for-alls, Kill your Killer, team battles, and 2v1.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:08 pm

I only have one piece of advice for you. Do not force people into units. Units are meant to be formed within a realm for the sake of individuality and for the sake of a shared group of persons goals and dreams. People who come into the realm should be allowed to be anyone and anything legal within dagorhir. If they want to join a formed unit or start their own, both should be fine. If they want to RP or be stick jocks, both should e fine.

I am a big proponent of personal freedom within the realm because restrictions and things drive people off, and more importantly, people come to Dag to express themselves in way they cannot anywhere else. It is a shame to take that a way from anyone.

Hope that didn't seem offensive, I don't think you do these things, but some new chapters try to and really have a lot more drama and politics than needed.
Back to top Go down
Constantine

Constantine

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:25 pm

I agree very much with what Eldrin said. Trying to force people into units isn't a good idea, because some people just don't take orders very well and some people don't give orders very well. Some people are much more effective if they're allowed to do their own things. I remember we had a lot of trouble forming units because the members of the units didn't have regular attendance, so one day 3 members of a 5 person unit would show up and other days only 1 person would. On rare occasions all 5 would be there. It just wasn't a very good set up.
Back to top Go down
http://a-dutch.deviantart.com/
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 12:43 am

Yeah, I would never try to force anyone into fighting with a unit. However, with haven, it seems like (and i could be wrong) that people want to fight together as a realm, in which case some unit fighting/drilling should be done. Also, by drilling I just mean basic know where you stand in a shield wall, or if you're a flanker and what to do in basic situations and to know basic commands such as pivot in a direction. however, I am also a big proponent of fighting in whatever style is fun for you and if you join a unit, a good unit should have a place for you no matter how you fight, even if you dual wield daggers.
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 12:57 am

He he he he, so true.........and you shall see, you all shall see!!!!! *Evil laugh*
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 2:27 am

Which part is so true lol?
Back to top Go down
Eldrin THE BLACK

Eldrin THE BLACK

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 3:29 am

A dual green user in my unit....HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA! prepare for a dreaded wrath unlike any you've seen!
Back to top Go down
Kairi Cypmann

Kairi Cypmann

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:15 am

At the moment, we don't have any established units. We practice unit fighting a LOT, but we don't have any assigned ones. Everyone knows what weapon type does best where, and if they hope to use it effectively then we go over what should be done, etc. Thus far, no one has wanted to create a unit, and I think that's mainly due to our size. As we continue to grow, I think groups of friends will inevitably band together, but for now it seems like we're pretty content to just fight as a realm.
Though, obviously I can't speak for the Blue Springs Province, so maybe I should say that we in Rolla seem content to fight as a Province. @.x;
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 am

awesome. I can't wait to see you guys fight when I'm in Rolla
Back to top Go down
Odin

Odin

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 am

sad am i Sad i am going to miss it.

and as far as unit fighting i guess we do but it seems to me like we just kinda spread out and have several single battles at once. i'd like to see all of rolla fighting together against an equally large group. that'd be fun/ but of couse we'd need to double our numbers first XD
Back to top Go down
Crux

Crux

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 am

you're not gonna be there when i am?

and to do "unit vs. unit" fighting, you'd need at least like 8 people or so
Back to top Go down
Octavious

Octavious

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 3:42 pm

@Eldrin, it's okay. Smile I'm not forcing, I asked people and they said it was cool. We're doing it mostly because when we eventually make it out to a war, that's how we'll fight. I'm incredibly open to whatever anyone wants to do. The units and ranks all every other RP element is essentially optional here. And I agree, I'm not too keen on forcing people to do things my way.

EDIT: I suppose a better way to put it is members aren't really assigned units, we're just doing unit fighting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the members of Haven.   Hail to the members of Haven. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hail to the members of Haven.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next